I had an Empidonax flycatcher this morning in Prospect Park. I was first
alerted to the bird by its incessant "whit" calls, and eventually got some
looks at it as it actively foraged fairly high in the treetops. Between the
vocalizations and the views I got of it, the only contenders seemed to me
to be Least and Dusky. All the factors as I assessed them in the field
pointed towards the much more expected (even at this late date) Least,
which is what I called it in the field.

Given, however, that these two species can be exceptionally difficult to
tell apart, I figure it warrants a posting here should anyone want to try
and follow up on it.

It was along the path that goes uphill from the Dongan Oak Monument, just
north of the NW corner of the zoo. It was in the treetops right over and
just north of the monument, roughly at these coordinates:
40.666282, -73.966670

Other birds of some interest amid the throngs of dogs walking their owners
were an *Orange-crowned Warbler* on the Peninsula's thumb, a *House Wren*
behind the Wellhouse, and a half dozen *Rusty Blackbirds* feeding around
the pools in the Vale of Cashmere.

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.