Hi all,

FinchFest 2020-2021 continues
I went to one of my local central NY patches yesterday, and ended the day
with 120 Red Crossbills (all sounded like type 10; some recordings
obtained), 11 White-winged Crossbills, 188 Common Redpolls, 12 American
Goldfinches, a few Pine Siskins, 16 Purple Finches, 1 House Finch, 21
Evening Grosbeaks and a fairly close flyby immature/female type Pine
Grosbeak -- Only dipped on Hoary Redpoll for the 10 eastern finches. A
friend went to another local patch and also had a Pine Grosbeak and much of
the same — So that makes for a few Pine Grosbeaks south of the Ontario
lakeplain. I think there's a 70-75% a couple small flocks make it to
northern PA.
Here's the main checklist from yesterday.
https://ebird.org/atlasny/checklist/S76563061

stay safe everyone!
Matt

P.S. Here's a couple articles the Finch Research Network has published on
this year's finch superflight.

https://finchnetwork.org/irruption-alert-redpolls-ride-south-in-perhaps-their-largest-push-in-almost-a-decade

https://finchnetwork.org/irruption-alert-evening-grosbeaks-are-moving-in-largest-numbers-in-20-years