The 58th Captree Christmas Bird Count, in southwestern Suffolk County, was
conducted on Sunday, December 20th, 2020.  The count had an impressive
showing of 51 participants who were thankfully able to cover their areas,
all while simultaneously taking the strictest COVID-19 precautions.  After
the recent snowfall and a spell of very cold weather, a layer of slick ice
over a few inches of crunchy snow made conditions relatively challenging
for observers, made slightly worse by morning snowfall turning to rain and
coastal fog just after midday.  However, despite less than desirable
conditions, temperatures rose through the day and a lack of windchill
allowed for a relatively pleasant count with some great birds.

In total, 37,586 individual birds of an impressive 128 species were
counted.  This total is only 1 species greater than last year, but well
above the 58-year average of 116 species and ten-year average of 118.

A sampling of our more unusual species (ordered somewhat taxonomically) are
listed below:

American Oystercatcher - Fire
Red Knot - Fire
Bald Eagle - East
American Woodcock - Connetquot
Wilson's Snipe - Connetquot
Black-crowned Night Heron - Gardiner
Iceland Gull - Belmont
Glaucous Gull - Jones
Northern Saw-whet Owl - Seatuck, East
Marsh Wren - Jones, Seatuck, East
Sedge Wren - East (certainly the best bird species of the Count!)
Pine Warbler - Connetquot
Common Yellowthroat - East
Orange-crowned Warbler - Seatuck
Eastern Meadowlark - East

The Captree Count was able to get in on some of this year's northern finch
irruption as well.  Common Redpolls were seen in Jones, Purple Finch was
seen in North, and a total of 83 Red Crossbills were observed across four
parties.  Evening Grosbeak and Pine Siskin were missed, with most of these
birds well past us at this point.

In addition, the count netted six count-week birds: Snow Goose, American
Wigeon, Redhead, Great Egret, Eastern Bluebird, and Yellow-breasted Chat
which brings the count-week total to 134.  Two notable "forms" were
observed as well: *borealis* Common Eider and Ipswich Savannah Sparrow.
Echoing Brooklyn's new high count for Bonaparte's Gull, the count tallied
4,224 of this species, representing a new maximum.  This count is not only
high for this count, but considered very good by modern standards, as this
is a bird we have completely missed in recent years.  Additional new maxima
included Common Eider (502), King Eider (3), American Oystercatcher (5),
Northern Saw-whet Owl (4), Horned Lark (170), Carolina Wren (200), American
Pipit (68), Chipping Sparrow (8), Song Sparrow (703), Swamp Sparrow (113),
among others.

While some numbers were low, we luckily managed to avoid too many
 unbelievable misses (at least by recent standards).  As above, some ducks
such as American Wigeon and Redhead were relegated to count-week birds as
they were not observed on the 20th.  Some species which can be tough to pin
down such as Great Cormorant and Wild Turkey were also not observed.
Unfortunately, the Long-billed Dowitcher(s) which typically spend the first
part of the winter at Santapogue Creek have not been around lately, and
were missed.  A late-lingering species often encountered on CBCs, Palm
Warbler, was also missed for this count, likely due to the weather.
Luckily, as above, this pattern did not befall the other warblers within
reach such as Common Yellowthroat and Orange-crowned Warbler.

Understandably, COVID-19 precluded the ability to have an in-person
compilation; one of the real highlights of the day.  After last year's
switch to our new, and hopefully permanent, compilation location at Sea
Levels in Bay Shore, a compilation was held virtually, over Zoom.

We would like to extend our gratitude to the New York State Parks
Department, US Fish and Wildlife Service, Town of Babylon, and the Seatuck
Environmental Association.  We are grateful that these agencies permit our
count participants to access various parks, wildlife refuges, etc. which
may be typically restricted to the public.

Results will be shared with the Audubon Society, USFWS, Great South Bay
Audubon, and anyone else who requests a summary.

Thank you to all who joined.  Please do not hesitate to reach out if you're
interested in joining this Christmas Bird Count for 2021!

Best wishes for the holiday season,
Co-compilers Brent Bomkamp and Taylor Sturm