It is good to know no one behaved badly. Very good. But it has happened in this
region in the past. Egregiously. You were asked to leave because of *what
-others- did in the past.*  I am not privy to the private or not status of this
particular road,  but I know of similar conflicts elsewhere where the road is
absolutely not private. This is what happens to the well behaved following
those who do not and piss off the locals.  And so it goes.  Arie Gilbert Sent
from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
-------- Original message --------From: Dawn Hannay <dawn...@gmail.com> Date:
1/19/21  1:46 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: ArieGilbert <ariegilb...@optonline.net> Cc:
Trachlar <trach...@gmail.com>, Isaac Weiss <weiss2...@gmail.com>, Adrian Burke
<aburke...@gmail.com>, "Groups.io"
<mearnsbirdclub+subscribe+2610529275472644968+3754...@groups.io>, NYSBIRDS-L
<NYSBIRDS-L@cornell.edu> Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Possible Ferruginous Hawk
Orange co. According to GPS maps, the road everyone was on is Cedar Swamp Road.
Nobody was running into farm fields, blocking farm vehicles or the like.
Everyone was respectful and polite. The landowner in question indicated that
the entire road is private and asked everyone to leave, which we did.  I think
the question is whether Cedar Swamp Road itself is a public or private road.
There is no signage indicating it is private, so if it is, birders need to
know. Dawn HannaySent from my iPhoneOn Jan 19, 2021, at 1:36 PM, ArieGilbert
<ariegilb...@optonline.net> wrote:A problem not unique to this area is birders
blocking or impeding traffic, trespassing onto property like a farm field,
irrespective of signage ( if in doubt, *don't* ) blocking driveways,  and being
less than nice to the residents when they inquire about your presence or
intentions. If you interact with locals be polite and share your
excitement.There are farmers who are working and blocking their way is
understandably irritating to them.  If you see vehicles coming your way,  move
*before* they have to slow down or wait. If a problem is avoided, future
visitors will be welcome.OTOH, a jerk will ruin it for all who arrive later.
And you will be told the roads are private or closed off. In the recent past
people were running across farm fields to get photos.  If only telephoto lenses
existed...In western states, trespassing would get you shot first.  An
effective deterrent. So let's all enjoy the birds AND behave like civilized
adults. Arie Gilbert. Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device-------- Original
message --------From: Trachlar <trach...@gmail.com> Date: 1/19/21  12:53 PM
(GMT-05:00) To: Isaac Weiss <weiss2...@gmail.com> Cc: Adrian Burke
<aburke...@gmail.com>, "Groups.io"
<mearnsbirdclub+subscribe+2610529275472644968+3754...@groups.io>, NYSBIRDS-L
<nysbirds-l@cornell.edu> Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Possible Ferruginous Hawk
Orange co. I realize at least from what I have read (e.g. with a homeowner on
the road w the “Camel Farm” (Rte 62) and Mission Land Road) that there have
been issues between property owners in the black dirt region and birders.
Obviously owners have a right in this Country to keep folks off their property
(the means used is another issue). Cedar Swamp Road seems to run about 2.7
miles, may I ask what makes the road itself a “private” road?  L. Trachtenberg
Ossining“The white man made us many promises, more than I can remember, but
they only kept but one, they promised to take our land, and they took it.”Red
CloudOglala LakotaSent from my iPhoneOn Jan 19, 2021, at 11:59 AM, Isaac Weiss
<weiss2...@gmail.com> wrote:Thank Adrian for the constant updates.I just met
one of the owners of the properties around here and he asked not to drive on
cedar swamp Rd. He said it is a private road.Celery is a public Rd.Thank you
allAri On Tue, Jan 19, 2021, 11:49 AM Adrian Burke <aburke...@gmail.com>
wrote:FEHA has flown to tree alongside Pulaski Hwy btwn Pumpkin Swamp and
Maloney LnEl El mar, ene. 19, 2021 a la(s) 9:25 a. m., Adrian Burke
<aburke...@gmail.com> escribió:Not sure as the bird is distant (forgive me if
it’s just a Red-tailed) but I have a seemingly good candidate for the
Ferruginous Hawk sitting in a field here (41.3627576, -74.3899335) seen from
here (41.3635432, -74.3887804). Face and base of tail seem rather pale,
limited white on scapulars. Can’t see gape, tarsi, or belly. Have some terrible
digiscope shots. Will keep updated. Adrian BurkeNYC

                        Welcome and Basics

                        Rules and Information

                        Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

                        Archives: