From: bounce-125331055-3714...@list.cornell.edu
[bounce-125331055-3714...@list.cornell.edu] on behalf of Larry Scacchetti
[larrybird4...@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, January 25, 2021 9:52 AM
To: NYSbirds-L@cornell.edu
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Ferruginous Hawk and another state first

Saturday, Justin Muratore and I located the FEHA on Onion Ave at 8:30 am.  The
bird circle the field and perched in a tree very close to the road.  It offered
amazing looks before heading East over the tree line towards Celery Ave.

The more amazing bits of the day, for me at least, was the adult subarcticus
Great Horned Owl.  This subspecies as far as I can tell hasn’t been in the
lower 48 outside of MN.  The bright with GHOW stood out like a sore thumb.  We
sat there on the side of the road waiting for the line of speeding cars,
heading off the the next FEHA sighting, to pass and then we just had this quiet
moment watching this unreal visitor from the north.

Photos of the owl, and hawk, can be seen here :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/larrybird13/

Good birding,

Larry Scacchetti
Subscribe, Configuration and