It’s well worth a note that the now long-staying Ferruginous Hawk has continued
in the same area in Orange County, NY into Friday, 2/26. Still a truly stunning
find by L. Scrima, and the more so for a bird so many have been able to see
over the weeks of its occurrence at that location.

…...
New York County (in N.Y. City) including Manhattan, Randall’s & Governors
Islands

On Friday 2/26, I went looking for a Cackling Goose reported at Inwood Hill
Park’s lagoon area in Manhattan, but arriving fairly late there, I found only
modest no’s. of 'standard sized' Canada Geese, and the same for my effort at
the Dyckman Street marina & adjacent ballfields.

The Carl Schurz Park (Manhattan) female Western Tanager was again present on
Friday, 2/26, & it can be presumed that the Chelsea-neighborhood W. Tanager
(also a female) also has continued on for now, in the vicinity of W. 22-23rd
Streets, near Tenth Avenue.

Modest numbers of American Woodcock have been seen in a number of locations,
including in Bryant Park in midtown Manhattan. Killdeer as well, and at least a
few came in at Central Park, Inwood Hill Park, along with other locations by
Friday, or some, earlier. (Incidentally, Killdeer are, & long have been, an
annual migrant in, through, & over Central Park & can & do simply pass through
with less obs. notice than might be thought by some.)

On Governor’s Island (closed to public access for the time being), some
arrivals on 2/25 (among nearly two dozen species recorded by C. Weiner)
included drake Wood Duck (unusual there), drake American Wigeon, & 2 Killdeer,
all photographed.  More Killdeer & some Am. Wigeon were found the same day at
Randall’s Island, and on Friday, the long-staying survivor adult Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron was yet again found & photo’d, at the Little Hell Gate salt marsh,
its most-usual haunt.

Also arriving or passing by in numbers have been Double-crested Cormorants,
with some Great Cormorants continuing in some locations, and Red-throated Loons
have been moving a little over the past week - in particular, as seen along the
Hudson river. 2 Black Vultures were seen & photo’d flying over Tompkins Square
Park in Manhattan on Thursday. Turkey Vultures have been moving over in low
numbers in the county.   There have been a good many waterfowl on the move &
not just locally, in the past few days alone with the wind shift, and milder
weather.

We also have seen modest passages of Red-winged Blackbirds, & surely some other
species have been moving about a bit, whether rather locally or on
longer-distance shifts northward.

Thanks to many for sightings & reports - there have been hundreds of birders
out with the little ‘taste of spring’ in the air.

good birding to all,

Tom Fiore
manhattan