Further to Bob Paxton's comment about Tree Swallows' love affair with feather
lining of their nests,  I have found these birds very resourceful with their
feather gathering depending on the nature of their local habitat.  For years I
have monitored nest boxes in Upstate counties of Schenectady, Saratoga,
Schoharie and Montgomery.  Depending on location, these swallows gather
feathers of a wide range of species, as well as in varying quantity.  Rural
areas are more endowed with local fowl than are suburban areas leading to
easier gathering.
For instance the nest boxes at the Landis Arboretum  in rural Schoharie Co.
with roosters crowing in the distance had much larger gatherings of goose, duck
and chicken feathers in general than did the boxes at West Hill, a suburban
residential area in the Town of Rotterdam in Sch'dy Co where Great Horned Owl
feathers made an almost annual appearance.

In some areas the tan body feathers of barnyard geese are very popular, but so
can be white feathers from domestic ducks.  Less numerous are flank feathers
from male Mallard, Wood Duck and body feathers of Wild Turkey.
Some of the rarer choices are from Great Blue Heron, Great Horned Owl (body),
No. Saw-whet Owl (primaries) and the strangest of all: Common Nighthawk.  One
nest in Montgomery Co contained 5-6 nighthawk feathers including flight
feathers (rectrix and wing) suggesting that this swallow had found a dead
nighthawk and was harvesting feathers from it.  Nighthawks molt away from  the
northeastern U.S. spring nesting season.
Feathers, flight and body, from local passerines also show up in these nests on
rare occasion.  But far and away, body feathers of barnyard fowl are the most
common Tree Swallow nest lining material in these counties.
Bob YunickSchenectady