Since there's been a lot of swallow & bird-behavior discussion here, including
a few book rec's, I thought I'd add that there are a number of books
specifically about swallows - three I've read are:  "White Feathers - the
Nesting Lives of Tree Swallows" by Bernd Heinrich (recent), and "The Swallow, A
Biography" by British author Stephen Moss (and in the U.K., “ 'the' swallow"
means 'Barn Swallow’; also a recent book), and "A Single Swallow" by Horatio
Clare (which is a decade older, and is a freewheeling account of an attempt to
follow the Barn Swallow migration from Southern Africa up to the British Isles
and specifically to Wales by the author; a bit more than just birds are
covered).  French-readers might find "Les Hirondelles" by Georges Olioso (in
the French language, also recent) of interest, also follows the migrations of
(and threats to) the swallows that occur in France; I've not read the latter -
the preceding three titles are all elegantly-written in my opinion... I've no
stake in any of these books.

New York County (in N.Y. City), including Manhattan, Randall's & Governors
Island[s]
Wed., June 9th & Thursday, June 10th - with some observation to Friday, June
11th -

The (at least) eleven warbler species lingering into this first third of the
month of June are slightly unusual, although no species now are being found in
any v. large numbers. Only 2 or perhaps 3 species are potential nesters in the
county, so all the rest are late, and some of these could potentially spend all
summer here, being non-breeding individuals, which does happen fairly regularly
here (in small numbers), the more so with just a ‘handful' of warbler species.
At least a few other migrant species have also had one or a few representatives
lingering or straggling quite late here, all this spring & also just might stay
on thru the summer. Of those, possibly the most regular to do so are
White-throated Sparrows, which are being seen in mostly less-than-double-digit
no’s. in city parks & greenspaces, to the dates of this report.  A number of
the species listed below are either nesting or potential nesters in the county,
with locations not noted.  However, by the 2nd day of this report’s period, a
number of various species of migrants *appeared to have* moved on.

Many, although not all, of the warblers seen were on Wed., June 9th, & not
re-found on the following days (including Friday, 6/11), and it also seemed
that some other late or lingering migrants may have at last moved on… but we
will see what the remainder of this month shows.  Lingering on as expected are
Yellow Warblers and some Common Yellowthroats, as well as American Redstart,
plus a couple of (less-expected) others.

Canada Goose
Wood Duck (ongoing, Central Park)
Gadwall
American Black Duck
Mallard
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret (mainly seen as fly-overs, all summer at some locations)
Green Heron
Black-crowned Night-Heron
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (also seen at Governors Island recently, as well as
Randall’s Island)
Turkey Vulture (few, fly-bys)
Osprey (few, flybys)
Bald Eagle (fly-by sightings)
Red-tailed Hawk
Wild Turkey (1 continues at Inwood Hill)
Killdeer (areas where regular into summer)
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull (very scarce now)
[American] Herring Gull
Great Black-backed Gull
Common Tern (mainly as seen on Governors Island, & over waters in N.Y. Harbor
or lower river areas)
['feral'] Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
American Kestrel
Peregrine Falcon
Monk Parakeet (a report of five fly-overs from Central Park, Wed., 6/9.  This
species is breeding in some other counties of N.Y. City)
Yellow-billed Cuckoo (still passing through, Thursday, 6/10)
Chimney Swift
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Yellow-shafted Flicker
Eastern Wood-Pewee (ongoing in several parks, including in Central Park)
Acadian Flycatcher (to at least 6/10)
Empidonax [genus] Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Warbling Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Blue Jay
American Crow
Fish Crow
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Carolina Wren
House Wren
Swainson's Thrush (few, late now)
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
House Sparrow
Cedar Waxwing
Scarlet Tanager (late now for here)
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow (very late, to at least 6/9)
Swamp Sparrow (also late)
White-throated Sparrow (multiple)
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
-
Northern Parula (singing male, ongoing at Central Park to 6/9)
Yellow Warbler (multiple)
Magnolia Warbler (late; to 6/9)
Black-throated Green Warbler (late, female at Central Park to 6/9)
Blackpoll Warbler (diminishing)
Black-and-white Warbler (small no’s. thru 6/10)
American Redstart (multiple)
Ovenbird (several at Central Park, & also elsewhere)
Mourning Warbler (6/10 and not unprecedentedly late here & esp. not in this
spring)
Common Yellowthroat (small no’s. continuing)
Canada Warbler (a bit late, still at Central Park)
-
Bobolink (1 female was continuing (very late) at Governors Island, likely a
straggler)
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird