This isn't specifically a sighting report, so apologies if it's too
off-topic.

As a lifelong New Yorker who's felt disconnected from the city this past
year-plus, I'm grateful for Tom Fiore's vivid reports on the ebb and flow
of bird- (and other) life through the city. I was especially interested to
read the recent news of a brief influx of Lark Sparrows into New York
County.

A month ago, my wife and I came upon a Lark Sparrow in the marvelous
restored grasslands at Croton Point Park in Westchester. It was, I learned,
the first July record for the county, and only about the twelfth ever.
Unsurprisingly, we thought it was a typical one-off...but this subsequent
influx has made me wonder if something else might be going on.

This was, after all, the Summer of the Spoonbill, with discussions of why
the species' range appears to be expanding. And one of the joys of Croton
Point Park has been witnessing the breeding success of Dickcissels, a bird
that seems to be reclaiming long-lost turf every year. So I wonder if the
Lark Sparrows we've been seeing aren't actually "lost souls" (like
Westchester's Tropical Kingbird of a few months back), but early scouts for
an eventual range expansion as well.
Thanks for listening--
Joseph Wallace