*An 18-page journal article authored in 1995 (Point Reyes Bird Observatory,
&etc.) by P. Pyle and S.N.G. Howell gives, within the 2nd page in that article,
titled "FLIGHT-FEATHER MOLT PATTERNS AND AGE IN NORTH AMERICAN WOODPECKERS”, a
fairly straightforward rationale for the terminology used, and as to how adult
plumage in reference to aging - and specifically for the Red-headed Woodpecker
(for which extensive notes, and some illustrations, are included in said
article), in which the spring-summer of the year after any (Red-headed)
Woodpecker was hatched is referred to as **adult age** - notwithstanding
variability in some feathers in age-transition (of that species in particular,
and as-noted, by specimen-study in the case of that journal-article, as well as
by many comm's. with other ornithologists and readings of the long literature
in this group of birds, so well-watched by American field and museum workers).
They (2 authors noted above) specifically state that there is juvenal, and then
an adult, age-molt and plumage, the adult being reached by "the spring-after
hatch-year."      I would add that I have a very slight extra bit (away from
the northeast U.S.) of experience with the species, Red-headed Woodpecker in a
portion of its’ central breeding-range, when with ornithologists in Indiana and
Illinois I participated (pro-bono) in some summer-season surveying for this and
other 'oak-savanna' (and related-habitats) breeding birds, in association (in
part) with Chicago, IL (org.-based) programs, and other regional org’s., at
that time; the time-frame being before 1995 - as well as the experiences gained
in participation on further field-surveys (preliminary to the publication of
the above-noted journal article) in other regions and for some additional
(many) species of birds.  I’ll add that, of little interest to anyone, some of
us NYC-birders begin our end-of-May days in bird-observations at an hour when
birds (including even Red-headed Woodpecker!), are waking and are visible &/or
audible, and those hours lately-begin at around 04:30 to 05:15 AM EDT
local-time, or 08:30 to 09:15 UTC (Coordinated Universal Time).  The sun is
visibly “up” by 5:28 for the date I referenced in the earlier (prior report) of
RHWP from the Central Park Ramble, which was in adult plumage, at 2nd spring or
further age. (The barring across some secondary feathers of some RHWP’s is not
‘consistent’ for all aging-purposes, and can in some individuals be retained to
as much as 3+ years, while there are also instances of ‘1st-spring' RHWP’s
where the white parts of their secondaries are ‘clear’ with no apparent
dark-barring. All of this pointed out in the journal-article referenced above,
and also much more-simply pointed up in the text-account for Red-headed
Woodpecker in the very good 3rd edition, “Complete Birds of North America” by
J. Alderfer & J.L. Dunn (editors), 2021, Nat’l. Geo. Soc. (n.b. this is not the
field-guide edition, but rather the larger and more thorough desk-reference
manual from the team at National Geographic; also I have no associations with
the producers or sellers of this publication.)  For extra-fun, there is the
page (in last-referenced desk-manual, p.532) on the WOWA, or Wood Warbler
[Phylloscopus sibilatrix], which is shown to be a ‘casual’ very-rare vagrant to
Alaska, mainly in the Aleutians, and which breeds and migrates through Eurasia
and winters esp. in tropical Africa. It is unheard-of in eastern N. America.
[This volume also adds info. on many rather-rare ‘strays' that have occurred in
some part of North America from various origin-points.]

*Lengthy-entry-short, unless 2 somewhat-similar-looking RHWP’s were present
within the same area of the Central Park Ramble on Monday, May 30th in early
a.m. hours - (and then one having been banded/ringed or tracked w/known
hatch-site provenance) there is no *definitive* determination that that
individual is a “2nd-cycle” bird, although much of the literature (as noted in
part, above) allows that age-description as at least possible - but
**not-possible to be "proven to precise age-year”, after the hatch-year (1st
summer-fall-and-winter), via observation nor by photographs only** unless of a
tracked-banded (etc.) individual, which this (1) bird was-is decidely not.  My
report for Central Park on the day had the note, "lingering on in the Ramble
area” to denote that this adult-plumaged woodpecker was still around even after
being heard and seen, at 05:35 thru 05:48 EDT (local time); one of several of
this spring for N.Y. County & will be esp. interesting should it linger any
further there.

…..
A note, as much of migration winds-down for spring, this year in N.Y. City and
adjacent areas etc.

What is the single-most productive park for smaller landbird (mainly passerine)
migrants - *PER SQUARE-METER OR SQUARE-FOOT* area - of its’ footprint, *in
Manhattan* (and for New York County, by actual confirmed and
regularly-documented recent, modern-era records?)   Er, so- I will ‘nominate' a
small park - which is one of the very-first parks (since at least the late
1600’s, that is around or close-to 350 years of acknowledged open-and-green
space in lower manhattan) in the county and also among a small number known for
New York City as then understood - and, in the 1920’s, when (now-called) Canal
Park was broken-up - literally - to start the construction on the
then-not-in-place Holland Tunnel (which connects lower Manhattan with New
Jersey via under the Hudson River estuary conduits) - that park, officially
designated as such, had already been there for 234 years… and has seen some
many goings-on since then… but, also birds of passage -

and this small lower-manhattan park has had at least 2-dozen species of
American Warblers - in its’ quite small greenspace, including the ever-desired
Connecticut Warbler as well as Yellow-throated Warbler, and so many more, in
just recent years, as well as a fine array of other species including a few
other uncommon or rarer ones (i.e. Summer Tanager). The now-designated
park-acreage is listed officially as “0.67" or about two-thirds of one acre.
It was re-made as a true city park and greenspace after about the turn of the
21st century (year 2000), and since has had some attention from locals & by
some who appreciate the smaller spaces with wildness still showing in the midst
of the urban sky-scraping and multi-activities.  It was (I believe) more fully
opened to the public again after or in 2005, and has attracted the attention of
relatively-few birders, with one in particular being so devoted to watching
this site, and finding perhaps 95% (+) of its’ migrant species for recent
years.  I’ve come on down to see some of the rarer, as well as regular, species
that were reported from there in recent years.  It’s an amazing, even
awe-inspiring space, in multiple ways and levels. One report, from the
autumn-migration (& just-about right in the fall-equinox’s timing) there has
one of the most-typical of all NYC-&-beyond birds noted, and one very special
visitor - one I also got to see there at that time, also thanks to the
indefatigable observer who first noted it on that occasion, this report from
one of our many other active ‘county’ & beyond observers & reporters:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S95277634 <https://ebird.org/checklist/S95277634> -
just a great testament (in totality), to the works to preserve even such a
small space with some green, and of course, also “location, location, location”
- as it (Canal Park) is so near to the Hudson River estuary, and (in my
opinion, at least) a fine small/green remnant from the days when Canal Street
was an actual canal, *and, that further, had been* just a remnant of the
incredible and likely very ecologically-intricate web of water & wetlands, of
the earliest times of ‘manahatta’ (sometimes interpreted as 'Land of Many
Hills') - yet was also a very rich place of estuary meeting some freshwater
springs and streams - and later of [Dutch] "Nieuw Amsterdam" and then all that
has followed.  The history of this area is VERY rich in many ways, and through
so much of ‘eons', the birds, including the birds of passage, have looked on
this little patch (& many others) for a site that’s been visited and used for
foraging and resting, for literally many, many, many centuries.  I am also a
‘fan-atic” of many other small parks and green-spaces, and of those who love
and keep watch amongst them, in places like that one, & the world over. And I
recognize that many may have such small favorites in special places all around
the town, the state, and vastly beyond.  I’ve ‘chased’ - some with intent, some
by pure chance, some of the birds that others [and esp. Ms. Evans] have noted
in this one small space, and been lucky enough to see a good many of the
commoner and less-common ones there. I think I’ve actually (also) accumulated a
“list” (although I don’t technically keep one) for that space that easily
rivals another downtown smallish (but larger and better known to all New
Yorkers, at least by name) greenspace, called City Hall Park - the area within
which New York’s mayor and (someday-her) staff are located in working for the
city, also known as W.-Tan.-Place. (or, the bridge-to-Brooklyn-gateway…)
Anyhow, all praises and power to all patch-birders, everywhere.

- - -
For May 28th, also loving the BT-Blue and other migrants seen at Tompkins
Square in lower-east Manhattan, the Redstarts (all-American) from virtually
every corner of the county, and all the rest of (5/28-) Saturday’s profligate
migrators and the many more birds of New York County.  The movements of just
the last few days of May have been very interesting and intriguing for this far
into the passerine & ‘land-bird’ migrations of the spring. A few Blackburnian
Warblers were seen around Manhattan & some of those in Central Park, on Sunday
May 29th, and as noted in my prior report to this list, again on May 30.  Many
other notes can be added for the last few days in May and of course, poss. for
this last.

good birding and fine feather-analyses to all,

Tom Fiore
manhattan