Indeed this seems so for at least Great Shearwater. Thank you for that link to
the long-term study, Paul.  Also, more study and surveying may be required on
the potential spread of H5N1 into N. America, which detection is mainly
quite-recent, and it is possible that the Anatidae (esp. certain duck and goose
spp.) and perhaps Laridae (esp. some gull spp.) will be shown to have carried
the avian flu over and around from place to place, more so than the true
seabirds including tubenoses. Time and studies may show this; thus far, various
duck spp. have been indicated as well as more-limited detections for some
migratory geese. Gulls of some species may also be studied further.

The Manx Shearwater breeding in high numbers on Ireland to U.K. including
Scotland has been shown affected by/mortalities from H5N1 avian flu.  The same
potential hazard may or may not be so for Cory’s Shearwater which breed
somewhat farther south and for many many other seabird species of the N.
Atlantic to near-Mediterranean etc. time and further study may tell.

Incidental to the above, a Manx Shearwater out of Ireland was found to have
lived to the age of ~ 55.  Many seabirds are capable of extraordinarily long
lives when healthy.  It also can be added that populations of some seabirds,
such as these particular shearwaters discussed may have quite-large populations
- likely to 7-figures by some survey estimates for Manx Shearwater, more for
some others; and however in some instances of less-common species of seabirds,
small and increasingly-vulnerable populations on some islands or shores & etc.;
many seabird spp. (some split taxonomically in recent era) have also gone
extinct and others are in peril worldwide.  Concern is high right now on many
Irish, British, Scottish and other adjacent isles having seabird colonies, and
where a lot of studies and surveying are ongoing. That high concern also
applying to a variety of breeding species, including some of the auks (Puffins
and others) and other birds, including N. Gannet as I had noted in the previous
message. Studies are looking to find out which other colonial breeders and
other birds may be affected &esp. at present in U.K. and Ireland.

An while not at all directly-related, there is concern for ‘Blue’ or Little
Penguin on the more-northerly breeding areas of that species, and for a variety
of other penguin species, such as African Penguin, etc. due to changes /
lessening in available prey items for many of these, esp. so in their
most-northerly breeding localities where die-offs have been found; this
obviously affecting far more than only some spp. of penguin in those
southern-hemisphere areas.

Locally on NY’s Atlantic waters, light onshore winds for a day or more ahead
could show some additional seabirds from shore soon; perhaps that much more
likely from dedicated boats. Please use any appropriate cautions and use
personal disinfectant in situations where any zoonotic flu, etc. may be
present, and take care to try and recognize any poss.-presumed tubenoses from
such more-common spp. as gulls or others if any are found washed-up in poor
condition on shores. (Note - P.R.S. asked about birds in decent condition in
his note.)

Tom Fiore
manhattan