Central Park NYC
Saturday August 20, 2022
OBS: Robert DeCandido, PhD, Deborah Allen, ,m.ob.

Highlights: Golden-winged (2), Blue-winged, and Six other Species of Wood
Warblers. After tweeting the Golden-winged Warbler at Maintenance Field at
around 7:50am, we were delighted to discover that other birders then found a
second Golden-winged Warbler, also at Maintenance Field, and that both birds
were being seen simultaneously. The second Golden-winged Warbler had more
yellow on the crown and thicker wing bars and lacked the olive wash on the back
that we had seen on the first bird. The last time we saw two Golden-winged
Warblers together in Central Park was at the north end in mid-August of 2006.

Canada Goose - 18
Mallard - 4
Mourning Dove - 13
Chimney Swift - 11
Herring Gull - 3 flyovers
Red-tailed Hawk - 1 Gill Overlook
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 2 heard
Downy Woodpecker - 4
Northern Flicker - 3
Great Crested Flycatcher - 2 Tupelo Field
Empidonax Flycatcher - 1 west of Persimmon Slope
Warbling Vireo - 1 or 2
Red-eyed Vireo - 5 or 6
Blue jay - 5-8
Barn Swallow - 1 over the Lake
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 2 (Cedar Hill & Shakespeare Garden)
House Wren - 1 at the Oven
Carolina Wren - 4
Gray Catbird - 8-12
American Rob9in - 12-18
House Finch - 1 at the Oven
Baltimore Oriole - 2 (Belvedere Castle, Warbler Rock)
Common Grackle - around 8
Ovenbird - 1,
Golden-winged Warbler - 2 (Maintenance Field, the 1st 7:45am)*
Blue-winged Warbler - 1
Black-and-white Warbler - 4 or 5
Common Yellowthroat - 2 (Tupelo Field, east of Azalea Pond)
American Redstart - 12-15 including 3 adult males
Yellow-Warbler - 1 at the Oven
Canada Warbler - 2 (Maintenance Field, east of Azalea Pond)
Northern Cardinal - 5 or 6
--
*See the Manhattan Bird Alert @BirdCentralPark on twitter for photos of both of
this morning's Golden-winged Warblers.