i actually think CBCs and other NAB data, plus maybe EBird, are the best
method to capture answers to questions about bird populations.  People tend
to think "birder" data are noisy and unpredictable because the methods are
sloppy - but in fact the main reason for big variability is the nature of
the data themselves.  In other words, using the best, most precise,
"Scientific" methods possible on Bonapartes Gulls, one world still get
pretty much the same very large variability seen in these graphs.  The
"messiness" is factual, and not an artifact of sloppy methods.  We learned
this from the breeding bird censuses (high precision that failed to remove
high variability) and realized that high spatial coverage is much more
important than high precision, and therefore came up with Breeding Bird
Surveys, which have proven very good at revealing changes in populations.
People are wed to the "Normal distribution" which applies well to genetic
data and measurements (wing lengths, etc) but is wildly inaccurate for
counts of birds (or any other organisms).  Doesnt mean there is something
wrong with counts; rather, there is something wrong with trying to apply a
normal distribution to them.  We now have mountains of statistical
techniques (negative binomial distribution; many others) that successfully
deal with data such as abundance of bonaprates gulls collected by birders.
I think there is strong evidence that CBC data accurately reflect
population changes, both for statistical reasons and also for their
comprehensive geographic coverage.

there have been many instances in the past 30 years where perceived
population declines  have been challenged on the grounds that "the birds
went someplace else".  in most of these instances, that has turned out,
from later analysis, to be untrue

--
Richard R. Veit
Professor, Biology