Today's movement involved "only" about 50 Red Crossbills. It could be that
the flight is dwindling, but the morning's wind was light and never veered
toward the forecast of northwest. Only 5 flocks comprised today's flight
(two of them not stopping). All were between 8:30 and 10:00. With an overall
reduced Passerine flight, that's about normal for the die off time.

Thanks Lisa for getting the recording the other day, and thanks Matt for the
quick response to let us know that it's Type 10 we're getting. Someone can
correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the online searches I've done indicate
that November 2012 brought mainly Type 3.

Another note of interest for followers of bird wanderings. A couple of
Tufted Titmouse appeared at the Jones Beach West End turnaround area, where
it's rare though not unprecedented. They join one or two Hairy Woodpeckers
and the many Black-capped Chickadees in forsaking their forest homes for a
beach vacation.

Steve Walter

Bayside, NY