Yesterday while looking at shorebirds at the East Pond of Jamaica Bay WR, I
noticed a small flock of about 6 Northern shovelers and noticed a small
grebe-like bird smimming through the flock. Immediatly I though it was a
Pied-billed Grebe but I remained looking closely at the subtle details noticing
it had a much thinner, longer bill than a Pied-billed. It was an all dark
bird with a decent amount of white around the beak area. It was reasonably
smaller than the shovelers Doing some research last night and this morning
made me believe it was an Eared Grebe. Obviously now I will not call anything,
but anyone journeying to Jamaica Bay's East Pond should just keep in mind of
this bird and tell me what you think. Be on the lookout for this bird. Anyone
that wants more information can email me off the list. It was indeed a weird
sighting!
Thanks!
Vinny Pellegrino
www.flickr.com/pellegrinov
East Northport, NY
"It just doesn't get any better than this"
-Jeff Corwin
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--