I didn't see yesterday's Dune Road calidrid sandpiper, nor have I yet seen any 
photos or heard any extensive description so I can't add anything at all to the 
discussion of that particular bird. However, a couple of photos I took on 
August 4 of this year on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge may be 
pertinent here. The first thought that entered my mind when this roosting 
individual materialized in my scope was indeed Temminck's Stint, but after some 
closer observation, analysis, and conversations with those more knowledgeable 
about this identification it became clear that this bird didn't quite fit that 
species, and was a much better fit for basic plumaged Least Sandpiper (which 
despite it's scarceness on the East Coast would still be much more expected 
than Temminck's Stint I'd assume). One field mark that happened to help in this 
particular case was that it was tiny, seemingly even smaller than most Least 
Sandpipers which essentially eliminates all peeps other t!
 han Least Sandpiper. All field marks were seemingly well within the range of 
Least Sandpiper. Certainly a plumage that I don't believe I've ever seen in NY 
before, especially not in the East Pond in early August. This probably 
contributed to some features, notably the eye-ring, seeming more prominent than 
I've ever seen on alternate, transitional or juvenile Least Sandpipers.

The photos are here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/fresha2411/2009#5366152772244715730
http://picasaweb.google.com/fresha2411/2009#5366152749523046466


 
Good shorebirding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.


 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lloyd Spitalnik <[email protected]>
To: NYSBirds <[email protected]>
Sent: Mon, Aug 24, 2009 2:10 pm
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Fw: more on temminck's stint - eastern long island
















?


----- Original Message ----- 

From: Lloyd Spitalnik 


To: NYSBirds 


Cc: Kevin Karlson 


Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 2:08 PM


Subject: more on temminck's stint - eastern long island







Hi all,


I just had a long conversation with Kevin Karlson regarding?stints in 
general. Besides for things he's already written on BirdWG01 (see 
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/FRID.html#1251058413?and 
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/FRID.html#1251056798) 
he wanted to point out that the plumage in question on the Long Island bird is 
addressed in his book "The Shorebird Guide" on both page 160, plate 12 and page 
289, plate 5 inset. I hope this helps?bring?more understanding.


Lloyd


?


Lloyd Spitalnik's Wildlife Galleries
www.lloydspitalnikphotos.com
www.blog.lloydspitalnikphotos.com

 


-- 
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Reply via email to