Hi everyone,
 
Hurricane Bill stirred up an impressive amount of clams and deposited them on 
the beach of the West End. The exact location is just southwest of the 
traditional Buff-breasted Sandpiper-attracting swale by the West End 2 lot 
(which is now flooded and had yellowlegs, peeps, and single Short-billed 
Dowitchers and White-rumped Sandpipers this afternoon). At least five Lesser 
Black-backed Gulls were tending this banquet along with good numbers of the 
typical gulls, Semipalmated and Black-bellied Plovers, Sanderlings, and all 
three species of peep (only 1 Western, a juvenile). There was a flyby Black 
Tern offshore, but nothing else was visiting the usual Common Tern hangout by 
the jetty. Well, aside from another 5-6 Lesser Black-backed Gulls! I 
photographed up to 13 individuals total.
 
The turnout of LBBGs was quite astonishing and I did my best to document it.. 
They were in a variety of ages, from 1st to what I believe is a 4th year. If 
anyone is interested, I made a gallery of the birds (the link follows). The 
bird labeled #6 is interesting to me... it was much frostier than the rest. I'd 
greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts and/or corrections.
 
http://picasaweb.google.com/pipingplover27/LesserBlackBackedGulls82409#

All my best,
Brendan Fogarty
Hempstead, NY
http://www.flickr.com/photos/birderbf/

Please think of the environment before you print this email.


      
-- 
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Reply via email to