Late this afternoon I took another look at the turbulent ocean, this time
from Main Beach in East Hampton (Suffolk Co.). The rain had stopped but the
stiff ENE wind continued and the sea was angry. Masses of terns continued
just offshore, predominantly Common Terns, drifting east but with less
urgency than in the morning. Many were actively fishing making it very
difficult to get a meaningful count but 1,500 or more for the hour
(5:15-6:15 pm) seems reasonable. Again, a small number (40 or so) ROSEATE
TERNS and a single FORSTER'S TERN were mixed in with the Commons. The latter
being in a confusing mix of alternate, basic, juvenile and 1st-basic
plumages.

The highlight of the hour was a SANDWICH TERN (adult, I think) which flew
past along the surfline with a group of Common Terns. A juv-type PARASITIC
JAEGER spend about 20 mins harassing terns along the beach front making
multiple passes. Lastly at least 9 CORY'S SHEARWATERS made occasional
appearances out of the mist, and like the jaeger, were invisible much of the
time hidden behind the substantial waves.

To be honest, I was more surprised by the species I did not see. Where were
the Laughing Gulls that become so numerous off the East End in fall? I did
not see a single one today. In fact where were the gulls of any kind? I lone
Ring-billed, a couple of Herring and 5 Great Black-backs on the beach were
it! The Maidstone Golf Course and some other field were uncharacteristically
gull-less. Same story at Accabonac Harbor which usually fills with gulls on
these type of ENE winds. I was also surprised by the absence of Black Terns
in the mix given the numbers that have been out here recently. Oh well,
every storm is different.

--------------------------------------------------
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA

-- 
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Temporary archive:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--

Reply via email to