The largest number of 'small, non-Laughing' gulls that I've seen out here in
a while were off Montauk Point (Suffolk Co.) this morning.There were more
than 300 Bonaparte's Gulls with at least *45 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES* (max
count for single sweep, 50:50 ads:1st winters) and a striking
1st-winter *LITTLE
GULL*. I counted only 15 Laughing Gulls, a very low number for this date. I
arrived at slack tide which was probably not ideal as the many of the gulls
stopped feeding around 10 am and either settled on the water or flew
northward into the center of Gardiners Bay. Many of the Red-throated Loons
also took to the air and headed in the same direction. Other than these
gulls, I couldn't pull out any other birds of note. Plenty of loons, eiders
and scoter but no alcids yet.

At Deep Hollow, the *CACKLING GOOSE* continues on the south pasture and has
been joined by an adult *SNOW GOOSE*. Whilst looking for through the geese I
noted a swallow flying low over the pasture, sometime alighting on the
fences. Initially the light was really poor (straight into the sun) but
eventually I got good looks confirming that it was a *NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED
SWALLOW*. Exceptionally late from a coastal standpoint. It soon disappeared
but later I relocated it over the ponds on the north side of Rt 27. Needless
to say I thought about but quickly ruled out, Brown-chested Martin - a more
outlandish but not entirely unreasonable possibility given the recent
sighting from MA and the late fall bird from Cape May NJ a few years back.
Otherwise, passerines seemed few and far between today despite the glorious
weather.
-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to