We took a short walk this afternoon at Belmont Lake State Park (BLSP) to walk 
off our Christmas Eve dinner. When we arrived there were perhaps twenty-four 
Canada Geese on partially frozen Belmont Lake. Shortly after we started scoping 
at about 1:30PM geese started flying in from the northwest. Shortly after the 
Canada Geese (approx. 800) settled in we found six White-fronted Geese around 
one of the islands in the lake. The WFG's appeared to be of uniform size and 
proportion (neck and head) and the bills all appeared orange. I was not able to 
get any pictures, or see a level of detail on the birds I would have liked, so 
I hesitate to identify them to race (Greenland vs. North American race). Also 
present on the lake were seventeen Wood Duck. We failed to find a Cackling 
Goose in the large flock of Canada's. The two islands around which the geese 
clustered partially obscured our view; it is unlikely that we saw all the geese 
present.

If you are thinking of going to BLSP to see the geese it may be helpful to get 
there within the first two hours of first light or the last two hours before 
dark. I would hazard a guess that from the direction the birds flew in from, 
they may have been feeding in the St. Charles Cemetery property on the west 
side of Wellwood Ave. in North Lindenhurst.

Ken & Sue Feustel

-- 

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

Archives:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to