Ventured down to Gravesend Bay, Brooklyn (Kings Co.) yesterday afternoon and
spend a few hours looking through the gulls. Unfortunately I did not connect
with the COMMON GULL, although I ran into Shane "Gull Man" Blodgett who'd
just seen it at the south end of the promenade, in front of the small
parking lot next to the ball field. Although it was getting late, Shane
generously offered to help me search some more but to no end.

I did have more luck with wing-tagged Ring-billed Gulls noting #A99 and
#A366 in the roosting flock north of the pedestrian foot bridge and #A375 in
the parking lot of the shopping area at the south end of the bay. A
1st-basic KUMLIEN'S (ICELAND) GULL made a brief appearance before drifting
south towards Coney Island Creek. A handful of PURPLE SANDPIPERS were on the
rocks.

I also nipped across to Staten Island and entering the Verrazano Bridge
tolls, glimpsed a BLACK VULTURE with 2 TURKEY VULTURES circling low over
Fort Wadsworth; the Black appearing to land on the roof. I wonder if this
could be the bird Doug Futuyma saw on 31 Jan? Black Vulture bred in the Fort
this summer (1st breeding record for region 10), perhaps they are back?

-- 
Angus Wilson
New York City & The Springs, NY, USA
http://birdingtotheend.blogspot.com/

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to