All, the report was of possible interest to many birders. My post was
factual, &
I did not directly question this particular report. Nothing I wrote
'questions' what
was posted to another list - it is what it is. It is excluding any
western-breeding
(only) species the rarest "regularly" seen (more than a few documented
in NY)
warbler in our region. The report (below) reads "absolutely certain" -
so that's it.
David & Phil, your dubious distinction awards are taken with all
seriousness, &
it's true, the comment and any further discussion better done
privately with the
poster-reporter. Now that I have his email I've done that, with
apologies to him.
Nonetheless, I stand by the specific comments I made, all valid - just
not in a
forum that may have been best. I did get many responses, all of which
will be
completely private (except two), in keeping with how I received them -
thanks.
And I'll gladly end with that but welcome any further responses, off-
list please.
Anyhow for any edification it may provide is the full report as posted
to that list:
_________________________________________________________________
Swainson's Warbler heard near Boathouse parking lot 6:30 AM Message
List
Reply Message #7678 of 7682 < Prev | Next >
I heard an unusual song as I headed into the Ramble through the woods
just north
of the Boathouse parking lot entrance (the area where the bicycles are
rented,
there's a dumpster there also). I was just getting a purchase on the
bird as I
moved south through the understory towards the fencing near the
dumpster when a
park employee fired up a lawn mower nearby. Oh well. The bird stopped
singing
and vanished. Now that I've played the song at work, I am absolutely
certain it
was a Swainson's Warbler.
--Matthew
Here again is my full response, admittedly not in the best form (on
another list which I do not subscribe to - and/thus, did not have the
reporter's full email address with which to send an email to directly) -
From: Tom Fiore <[email protected]>
Subject: "report" of heard-only warbler, 5/5
Date: May 5, 2010 1:00:47 PM EDT
To: [email protected]
Re: the following report I'd offer at least cautionary notes:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ebirdsnyc/message/7678
1. This is a species whose song can be confused with a waterthrush
song.
2. There are a lot of people with broadcast-capable portable/personal
electronic devices, and instances of such devices used for playing
bird song where at least a few people were "fooled" (intentionally or
not) into
believing they were hearing (whatever) actual bird singing, in the
park where the bird reported was said to have been heard. Nowhere more
prevalent than in the area of the park where reported... I myself have
seen &
heard this take place (including those birders who believed they heard
song X, Y, Z...)
3. The bird reported is exceedingly unexpected even if not quite
casual in occurrence.
4. Report of such rarity deserves a full name & place of residence
included in the post.
sharp ears -
discern well
& any news
report soon.
Tom Fiore,
Manhattan
<>
On May 5, 2010, at 8:10 PM, david speiser wrote:
I find it dubious to question anyone's sighting on any listserve and
believe me I could almost daily!!! Those sort of comments are done
best offline!!
David Speiser
NY, NY
www.lilibirds.com
XXXXX
> Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 19:19:18 -0400
> Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] "report" of heard-only warbler, 5/5
> From: [email protected]
> To: [email protected]
>
> Note: Tom doesn't run that list and as far as I know isn't even a
subscriber to ebirdsnyc. How Tom thinks anyone should sign their post
to that list is irrelevant. Since I do run that list I encourage
people to sign first names but I have no current intention of making
it mandatory. In fact Matthew did sign his post. Subscribers to the
list can see his email and question him directly if they felt the urge.
>
> But let's return the favor of making that post in the first place:
>
> I find it dubious to start questioning sightings reported on other
lists, especially in light of the author of the commentary. Other NYC
birders might understand if I make allusions to throwing stones in
glass houses.
>
> Phil Jeffrey
> Princeton/Ewing
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--