This morning I received a call from Shane Blodgett, who was birding in  
Prospect Park. He was looking at a possible Bicknell's Thrush in the  
Lullwater, a short distance from the Boathouse. He described a gray- 
cheeked-type thrush with a chestnut tail. The bird was responding to  
his iPhone's playback of a Bicknell's song. I was able to get back  
from the city and into Prospect Park by 2:30pm. I set up my portable  
speakers near where Shane had last seen the bird. Within seconds of  
playing the Bicknell's song, the bird flew over to a tree near the  
speakers. It continued flying closer and closer, until it was on the  
ground several yards away. When I stopped the playback, it went back  
to foraging on the hillside. I moved the speakers to the opposite side  
of the path, facing the Lullwater. On playback, the bird flew across  
the path and, again, moved back and forth in front of the speakers. At  
one point, when perched on the ground to the side of the speaker, he  
responded with a clear "whee-er". I packed up my gear and began to  
leave when I received a call from Rob Bates, who was nearby. When he  
arrived, I set the speakers out again, played the song, the bird  
returned ... you get the idea. Just to be certain, though, we also  
played the Gray-cheeked Thrush song. The bird never responded and, in  
fact, just continued foraging within the leaf litter on the hillside.  
I wasn't able to get any photos due to the rain and terrible lighting  
(not to mention my crappy camera). The last time I got a Bicknell's  
Thrush to respond to a recording in Prospect Park was on May 24, 2006.  
Sean Sime took some really good photos of that bird here -

http://citybirder.blogspot.com/2006/05/gray-cheeked-thrushes-in-prospect-park.html

If you decide to look for this bird, here is a link to a map:

http://tinyurl.com/28bogor

Good birding,

Rob

PS - This was another NA lifer for Sebastian from Germany.
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to