Patricia Lindsay and I spent today between Moriches and Shinnecock Inlets, 
Suffolk County.

While I worked the Cupsogue flats on the morning's rising tide, Pat did a 
seawatch, then counted shorebirds at Pikes Beach.

She found the seawatching slow during the morning, and it was brutally slow 
ever after today, but she did record an early Cory's Shearwater, 3 Common 
Eiders, 10 Gannets milling, and 7 Common Loons migrating.

My highlights on the flats were large numbers of shorebirds (see below), an 
early "Western" Willet and 2 Black Terns in breeding plumage.

The highlight of Pat's visit to Pikes Beach was a Western Sandpiper in full 
breeding plumage. Although we often see bright, long-billed Semipalmated 
Sandpipers in spring--including a few birds that are very suggestive of 
Western--this bird stood out as an absolutely typical, full breeding-plumaged 
Western Sandpiper. I don't believe that either of us had ever seen such a bird 
in May on Long Island before today. I returned with her after I finished on the 
flats and we spent a couple of hours searching between 11:00 and 13:00, but we 
couldn't find it again. Eileen Schwinn and Eric Salzman saw the bird earlier 
with Pat.

Shorebird numbers were excellent. The following totals are derived from 
simultaneous counts at Cupsogue and Pikes:

Black-bellied Plover--91
Ruddy Turnstone--700
Red Knot--282
Sanderling--at least 3,000
Dunlin--120
Semipalmated Sandpiper--at least 4,000
White-rumped Sandpiper--4
Short-billed Dowitcher--30

We drove Dune Rd. and looked at the ocean from Shinnecock Inlet during the mid 
afternoon, but we didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I went back out on the flats on the falling tide and found a different mix of 
shorebirds as well as a couple of additional highlights, such as a second 
summer type Forster's Tern (my first this year east of Moriches Inlet), and a 
Roseate Tern.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore


Think green before you print this email.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to