Hi, I just wanted to share a neat thing with everyone. I've written in the past
about the Yellow-Crowned Night Heron rookery on Linwood Ave. in Cedarhurst and
many people have visited the area and seen the birds in action. But for those
of you who haven't come out to see them, you can still see some of the nests
(without the birds) via the Google Maps "street view" feature. The view of
Linwood Ave. is taken during the winter wheren the trees are bare and the
branches are exposed. I discovered that using the "street view" feature, you
can drag your mouse to pretty much anywhere in the photo you want to go -- even
straight up in the air! Consequently, I looked up a tree that i knew had heron
nests which typically remain over winter, and found at least three nests,
including a very nice, large one. The birds, returning in the spring, re-use
these nests, adding to them and/or repairing them as necessary. Here's the link
to the photo:
274 Linwood Avenue, Cedarhurst, NY - Google Maps
In this photo you can see a well-made nest just left of the center of the
photo... at least two other, slightly smaller nests can be seen in the tree to
the right, with one nest directly to the right of the large nest, and the
other, equidistant below the branch and slightly further to the right, just
below the loose bunch of dead foliage. The nests look like little tumbleweeds,
but they are simply loose balls of twigs.
Thanks to Jim Osterlund for offering the Street View idea, and providing the
link to the precise angle of the photo that I described to him!!! Thanks for
sharing your knowledge and talent for all to enjoy!
have a wonderful day!
Cindy Wodinsky, Cedarhurst, LI
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--