Friday, 20 August 2010

So there was a "flight" of Lark Sparrows (at least these 2 in nearby  
locations) with an adult also at Fort Tilden, Queens in a smallish  
somewhat scrubby patch of dry coastal meadow that is found about west  
of the hawk watch area at Fort Tilden, can be reached by a narrow foot  
trail from the front of the hill ("Battery Harris") - where the watch  
platform stairs are go left if facing the stairs, then right on the  
first narrow trail, or alternately a longer way around is by going  
right from the foot of those wooden steps & then make 2 lefts on the  
paved, but rutted, old paths and go about 1/4 mile or just until the  
first obvious open area after a lot of overhanging trees, vines and  
all manner of dense vegetation.  This Fort Tilden Lark Sparrow not  
found til about 4 p.m. - & was the Floyd Bennett Field Lark Sparrow  
still in that location later? (I didn't see it, but wasn't aware to  
seek it at F.B.F.  (I'd assume 2 different birds... the coincidence is  
too great - and the species does have such small flights in the NE. It  
will be interesting to see if any additional Lark Sparrows are found  
along the coast or already have been just lately...)

I began the day before sunrise at Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, where  
an American White Pelican was still to be seen on the East Pond near  
the "raunt" across from the eastern end of Big John's Pond trail, from  
at least 6 thru 10 a.m.  Also at the Refuge's E. Pond on this early  
morning's high tide cycle were a minimum of 5,000 shorebirds, with  
many juvenile birds now added to the adults also still around. I  
counted over 40 (actual count 41 but that's conservative, taking in  
some birds that may have not been "following" me at the north end)  
Stilt Sandpipers and also a couple of (well, 2) White-rumped  
Sandpipers, and at least five Western Sandpipers (all but one were  
adults, though) plus more common Least, and really common Semipalmated  
Sandpipers, along with Semipalmated Plovers in good numbers.  Other  
shorebirds at the East Pond (mainly East Pond- by the time I got to  
the West Pond, it was really a bit late for much potential of big  
shorebird numbers there) that I noted were American Oystercatcher  
(few), Black-bellied Plovers, Short-billed Dowitchers in the 4-figure  
range (but far less common than Semi. Sand.), a few Long-billed  
Dowitchers that I was fully confident of, also Ruddy Turnstone, both  
Yellowlegs (with Greaters coming on strong now), plus a smattering of  
Spotted Sandpipers.  If I'm adding that up correctly, that's 14  
species of shorebirds.  I looked out for possible phalaropes, godwits,  
and other sometimes-seen-in-August (you know, Broad-billed, Sharp- 
tailed etc.) sandpipers but didn't come up with any of the less-common  
species. Some other folks were out looking and perhaps they'll add any  
other birds of the Refuge noted for today.

There was some good evidence of overall migration (passerines, etc.)  
with at least 10 species of warblers present in the Refuge, the most  
varied warbler activity I found at the eastern side of the Boulevard,  
with the trail leading to Big John's Pond from the visitor center  
crosswalk and at Big John's Pond itself (a bit dried-out but still has  
the trees around that many woods-loving passerines are attracted to) -  
there were also these warblers at the phragmites "tunnel" entry to the  
NW corner of the E. Pond (at about 8 a.m.) - Blue-winged (and another  
in the gardens), Prairie (and another at Big John's Pond trail),  
Northern Waterthrush (4 all in view together - plus at least 6 more,  
in many locations), also 10+ Yellow Warblers (reappearing after  
seemingly having departed as breeders for the summer), American  
Redstart (in numbers a bit too high to all be J. Bay breeders) &  
Common Yellowthroats (ditto as for redstarts), & also: Tennessee (a  
nice brightly-plumaged fresh fall male), Chestnut-sided (1), Magnolia  
(1), and Black-and-white (4).  I didn't find nearly as much passerine  
activity in the north garden as I'd expected based on the little flock  
from a bit earlier on the east side.  A couple of Eastern Kingbirds  
were perching on trees in a way that suggested to me that these were  
fresh migrants and not local nesters & fledgers, also as the last time  
or two at the refuge I sensed that many of the summer-resident  
kingbirds had moved out.  Similarly with Empidonax flycatchers of  
which I saw more than a few at J. Bay (& later elsewhere) - all that I  
noticed at J. Bay were non-vocal and in very fresh plumage, while a  
couple seen (and not heard) later on the Rockway peninsula looked  
rather worn.  A few Chimney Swifts & at least one "southbound like a  
bullet" hummingbird (presumed Ruby-throated) went by the W. Pond, & I  
later saw a couple more hummingbirds zip south as well as at least 8  
more swifts, from the Rockaway peninsula.  Some other J. Bay birds  
included no Ibis (that I noted) but still lots of heron & egret  
activity with a fairly good number of both Little Blue (in 2 plumages)  
and Yellow-crowned Night- Herons, plus more duckage (and Mr. Greater  
Scaup still summering thru on the West Pond, at least I assume it's  
the same old boy out there), & a very good tally for Teal of the usual  
in August 2 species... Terns of at least 3 species: Black (1  
juvenile), and Forster's (still in fair numbers) and a few Common on  
the fringes (that is most likely around the actual bay) with Black  
Skimmers also putting in an appearance in the a.m.  An Eastern Phoebe  
was doing it's (normal) things around Big John's Pond and a Great  
Crested Flycatcher or three continue in the "gardens" at the 'Bay, a  
few White-eyed Vireos gave forth their songs but a couple of Red-eyed  
and Warbling Vireos stayed silent. The Veery in the N. garden was  
actually a minor highlight as I don't find that species there too  
often... Gray Catbirds - there were way too many around to all be  
adults and offspring that bred there - way, way, too many... There  
were also the regularly-seen lately Boat-tailed Grackles scattered  
around the W. Pond trail, in the marshes & trees.

I checked the "egg" marsh fields and shores on the south end of the  
Broad Channel island where much (of the accessible parts) of the  
Refuge is located - this public park land is located just to the north  
of the bridge to the Rockaways - and on the western side of the toll.   
If you go south from the Refuge, turn right before the toll, that is,  
immediately before the toll booths.  If you go thru the toll, you went  
to far and will end up on the Rockaway peninsula of Queens, N.Y.  
City.  At the fields there were a flock of about 20 Bobolinks still  
hanging around at nearly noon, and (my reason for checking there) a  
good-sized fairly deep rain puddle, which had a few Least Sandpipers  
and usual gulls when I looked - it's worth more looks in coming weeks.

At the Rockaway peninsula (also in Queens, NYC) I went thru Riis Park,  
into Fort Tilden where I spent some time up on the Battery Harris sky- 
and-sea-watch platform - and actually saw a bit of diurnal flight even  
with a start time of 11:30 a.m. - & coming off the platform 45 minutes  
later at quarter past noon.  Among the birds seen in those 45 minutes  
up on the platform were a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher that went over low  
enough to get all the marks (and be certain of the species, not just a  
genus) and also just high enough to see that it was not just canopy- 
hopping but went southwest down the ridge to as far as I could follow  
it , well past the Silver Gull entry road, so a diurnal flier at least  
up to a point. Others:  American Kestrel (1 female), Osprey (6 fly- 
bys), Great Blue Heron (2 going south along the surf & then abruptly  
turning back towards the northeast up the bay side 30 minutes  
later...), Purple Martins (3, an adult male with 2 female-looking all  
together and seen very nicely as they flew within a few yards of the  
platform - in fact it was they that convinced me I ought stay a bit  
and have more of a sky view), Eastern Kingbird (8 or more, a flurry of  
five at once & then at least 3 but I was briefly distracted by non- 
birding visitors to the platform at that moment... later, I noticed a  
few E. Kingbirds perched on bare trees just south of the platform  
area), Tree (at least 60), Barn (well over 200) and Northern Rough- 
winged (15 counted) Swallows, in separate groups with all the Barns,
but together with the Trees & N. R.-w.'s, also a few (4) warbler sp.  
that flew over, & did not call or give decent views although at least  
one looked likely for a Yellow Warbler (I might have added that all  
Yellows seen earlier at the Refuge had been 1st-year except for one  
adult male), and a fly-by quartet of Western Willet, big and vocal as  
they flew over.  I later saw 5 Western Willets together on the bay  
side of Breezy Point, a few hours later.  Oh, and a couple of Rose- 
breasted Grosbeaks were calling loudly from near the Battery Harris  
platform.

Breezy Point's ocean & bay-side beaches held many thousands of  
shorebirds, almost all apparently Sanderling (4,000+) and Semipalmated  
Plover (2,000+) with a fair number of Ruddy Turnstone (75+) mostly on  
the bay side, plus a couple of adult Piping Plovers at the bay side as  
well.  These birds were not all that skittish and many were not only  
feeding in amongst the locals out on the beach & in the sea, but there  
were a thousand or more of the Sanderlings & Semipalmated Plovers  
resting on the higher beach amongst sun-tanning, beach-chair and  
blanket-owning creatures.  Least & Common Terns were still around on  
the beach more than over the water at the lower tide, & Black Skimmers  
were in a nice group of 400 or so also on the beach.  The sea itself  
seemed rather quiet although there were some exceedingly far-out  
flocks of larids (terns and/or gulls) and who-knows what else. The  
passerine activity over the dunes & along the access trails seemed low  
but it was a hot sunny mid-day; there were continuous movement of  
swallows however, seemingly mostly Barn Swallow.

I looked at Floyd Bennet Field after 5 p.m. and actually was around  
the nursery area but saw no other birders or rare sparrows. The  
puddles down at the other corner were still rather slow for  
shorebirds, a few Killdeer and a few Least Sandpipers were all I saw.

I'd like to say I'd get back out that way on the weekend to seek the 2  
sparrows & see what else is around, but I may "take it easy" and just  
poke around Central Park, for which I see little new reported lately.   
Lots of birds besides shorebirds move in the second half of August and  
some species will be about gone by September 1st (such as early- 
departing warbler species and a few more "in a hurry" to get south).   
Anyone wanting to read of the sense of these birds moving now (as in  
today) can get a little idea of it from the most renowned hawk-watch  
site in the world, Hawk Mountain in Pennsylvania (due to its' history  
as well as the ongoing counts there) and pay special attention to all  
those non-raptor migrants they counted this August 20th.  Just scroll  
down the report to read of the non-raptor count:
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/PENN.html#1282348112

And for some shorebirds we all anticipate, see that Rhode Island now  
has reports for Buffies, Uppies, Baird's in the multiple, and perhaps  
American Goldens. (maybe next to Long Island?) There's also a "report"  
of a Spotted Redshank in Massachusetts, from Plum Island / Parker  
River N.W.R. but I don't see any confirmation of that mega-rare  
Eurasian shorebird on the list...

Good Birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to