Not surprising, and after much anticipation, I was able to confirm the
successful nesting of the Mississippi Kites in the Town of Root, Montgomery
County today. I was fortunate to get a video of the parent bird bringing
food to a begging fledgling. I'll post a few of the photos on my blog in the
Albany Times Union: http://blog.timesunion.com/birding.

 

Interestingly, there are three adult birds tending to the nest. Apparently,
this is a behavior known to the species where an additional adult or
sub-adult will join in the parenting role of the mated pair. I have posted a
photo of all three in a previous blog entry.

 

The birds, when not in the air, are frequenting a woodlot on private
property. The landowner reiterates that he does not want anybody entering
the property. He expressed appreciation for those who honored this request,
but noted there were a few exceptions. In one case, two over zealous
visitors had to be escorted off nearby private property. 

 

Rich Guthrie

New Baltimore,

The Greene County,

New York

[email protected]

 

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to