I read with interest the comments following the report of our first  
reported Buff-breasted Sandpiper for Long Island this summer in the  
post to this list from Doug Gochfeld of Brooklyn, NY.  Although I  
agree with almost everything he wrote, I'm also commenting on his  
comments regarding recent JBWR (Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge, Queens  
Co., NY) observations. I'm glad to see Doug's reports and only wish  
that more birders would add their reports, whether of overall bird  
sightings or individuals that were of note to the observer[s].  I'm  
grateful to all who take the time to offer any bird reports to the  
public. In this day of cell-phone and text-messaging, etc. it's become  
more common than ever to leave the public reports for only the birds  
thought to be "rare".  To a birder visiting from afar, any bird might  
potentially be very special and of great interest. A lot of birders  
visiting Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge at this and other seasons are  
from places far away and many of them have sought information and  
updates on the latest developments. With that in mind I'd preface this  
by noting that although the East Pond at the Refuge has drawn down to  
a water level allowing far easier walking than several weeks ago,  
there will still be a use for sturdy footgear, and in a few places the  
mud may be a slight issue. Again, though all "regulars" know this, no  
one should ever walk across the northern end (the north edge) of the  
East Pond at any season or in any year due to treacherous mud in that  
one area. Signs warning of this are usually posted at the corners of  
that area, for the shorebird season, by Refuge staff. Don't try it -  
birders have sunk in to their waists, or worse, in that area!

I've placed Doug G's good commentary in full within "quote" marks (and  
in italics for members of this list), and my responses in standard  
type font as well as each paragraph of my response indented at the  
start.  And I thank Doug & others for their ongoing reports and  
insights. There was a bit of discussion, some of it off-list,  
regarding phalarope plumages and identifications of age and sex to  
fall-migrant phalaropes, which eventually got me to ask Peter Pyle,  
author of many articles and a well-regarded book (now two books) used  
by banders (ringers to UK & European birders) as well as reference for  
many others, on identification of shorebirds and many other non- 
passerines (and that newer 2nd book on the passerines). Mr. Pyle was  
gracious to answer at all - he's certainly busy and lives on the west  
coast - but after a little back-and-forth in emails, the matter was  
dropped by Pyle. These books, which involve birds mainly seen in the  
hand (at banding stations) can be very useful to those interested in  
fine details of the many species covered, especially when attempting  
so-called "feather birding" - extremely close examination by visual  
means without actual banding/handling of birds. A lot of discussion  
has been done on the merits of this style, as well as the so-called  
giss (general impression of shape and size) means of gaining ID skills  
and actually making identifications. A number of articles and even  
books emphasize the various attributes of these means of observation.  
There will be an eagerly-anticipated book out in the next year which  
will add to that discussion, by Richard Crossley, who is also a co- 
author, with Michael O'Brien and Kevin Karlson, of "The Shorebird  
Guide", which many birders use often since its publication.

Doug's comments in paragraphs followed by my own (below each) -
______________
On Aug 21, 2010, at 11:30 AM, [email protected] wrote:
....
....
  "As a side-note on JBWR, and encouraged by Tom Fiore to post my  
recent sightings from there, I have had a slightly different  
experience there recently than he has. I've found that Long-billed  
Dowitchers have been very scant, and there has been another recent  
transition of the adult Short-billed Dowitchers: a large proportion of  
them are now of the Hendersoni subspecies which can look very similar  
to Long-billeds."

        Good point, something I've noted and mentioned in a JBWR report some  
weeks ago when adult 'hendersoni' Short-billed Dowitchers were first  
showing up (and not yet any Long-billed Dowitcher). I also have noted  
very few Long-billed Dowitchers, either in actual numbers seen or as a  
fraction of total dowitcher numbers, so I'm in agreement that they're  
still "scant" or in my own words, in one post, "few".

"Also Western Sandpipers have been almost non-existent for the last  
couple of weeks, with 1 or 2 individuals being the highest I've had,  
although I've come up with 0 a couple of times as well. The day of the  
shorebird festival there was only a single Western Sandpiper seen by  
only two people, despite over 100 observers being present on the East  
Pond. With all of the plumage variation within the adult Semipalmated  
Sandpipers (many of them having bill sizes that overlap with Western)  
now, as well as the aforementioned influx of Hendersoni SBDOs it is  
very difficult to pick out their rarer cousins without decent scope  
views."

        If "almost non-existent" amounts to the same as writing that perhaps  
1 out of 1,000 peeps, or even 1 out of 2,000, is how scant Western  
Sandpiper have been so far this month at JBWR, then I'd agree, and is  
reflected in what I've reported.  I'd agree too that, in general,  
picking out peep species and some other shorebird species or forms can  
be difficult, although at a range of 100 feet or less a "scope view"  
isn't always the most important factor, while close observation and in  
some cases good lighting is. I was not at JBWR during the shorebird  
fest. and have no comment as to how many hundreds of folks did, or did  
not, cover the entire Refuge seeking out Western SP or any shorebirds.  
In any case the points made are again good.

For one ID article (among many available) on the differences in  
structure and plumages of peep (smaller sandpipers of the genus  
Calidris) I can recommend this, which includes some photos.  
http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/XPeepid2.htm

"Also I observed no less than 35 White-rumped Sandpipers on 8/17, and  
the number had been similar to that since around the 13th or 14th, and  
seemed the same on 8/18. Their calls have become ubiquitous on the  
East Pond."

        I can't see that if very roughly 1 percent or fewer of all peeps  
being seen at the Refuge are White-rumped that their calls might be  
termed truly ubiquitous, however I have no doubt that there are a fair  
number more than I have noted from a most recent report - just as with  
reports on several lists from others also noting just a couple of  
White-rumped. More generally, in my opinion no one observer will be  
able to fully assess the precise numbers of individual species and  
subspecies of shorebirds at Jamaica Bay Refuge, simply because it is  
too sizable an area that any one person can cover the ground, even if  
not referring to the entire refuge with the West Pond (and in terms of  
overall numbers at the entire refuge, the many locations not  
accessible at all on foot, some perhaps not even by small boat) but  
only at the East Pond, due to the size of the place. With that much  
shoreline and not all of it visible from all points even with the  
finest optics, and all the minute-by-minute adjustments in just where  
flocks of birds are feeding, roosting, & flying, and even without the  
additional influence on shorebirds caused by, in particular, hunting  
Peregrines, it is simply not possible to make any certain summary of  
actual numbers of individual species. At the same time it's possible  
to strive for that, and for those who cover the full area of the East  
Pond, a good idea of numbers may be had. Also, someone attempting to  
cover whatever area with consistency and even more so on a regular  
basis thru a season, may have a very good sense of how the numbers  
are, whether in great flux or relatively stable from one week to  
another. All of this can bring up a number of interesting questions,  
among them that of just how long a bird lingers in a good feeding site  
as the East Pond very obviously is - that is, how long any birds  
linger on a stop at the Refuge, or at any particular locations on  
migration.  A lot of factors can play in, and how many birds overall  
are present might also influence the duration of visits by migratory  
shorebirds as well as other birds. I laud efforts to survey numbers of  
birds at any location, it's quite valuable and to emphasize,  
consistency can be key. One person's reports have added value when  
that observer, for example, maintains a typical route and perhaps a  
similar amount of time per visit. In such a way even a smaller  
sampling, say a single hour at opportune times on a regular basis, can  
be of use to others in keeping track of numbers of birds and/or of  
species present.  Ideally, I would like to see the shorebirds reported  
on daily from Jamaica Bay and similarly frequent reports coming out of  
other closely-watched sites (anywhere) but that's not always the case.  
I'm grateful for all reports made by birders! They are of high value  
and use to many.

"The last time I saw a Wilson's Phalarope was on 8/17, and judging  
from the lack of reports of this usually obvious species I would  
venture to guess those 3 long-staying individuals have moved out and  
any ones seen from here on out will be new."

Good Birding
-Doug Gochfeld. Brooklyn, NY.

        I tend to agree, although see my comments in the ending of the  
paragraph above. Lack of reports is not always the same as lack of  
birds. As for recent phalarope sightings and reports, I also wonder if  
a most recent Red-necked Phalarope is of a "new" individual or the  
same as one seen over a week earlier.  Again, as I noted with the  
recent Wilson's, I would assume the Red-necked seen most recently was  
a newly-arrived phalarope, perhaps having come in that very night  
before.

Good birding,

Tom Fiore,
Manhattan


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to