I wasn't planning on looking much for the BBWD today.  I was on my way to
look for the Buff-breasted Sandpiper at the Elba Mucklands (not seen today)
and was driving by the spot, so of course I had to take a quick look.  After
a couple of minutes of carefully scanning the cattails, I found the BBWD.
He stayed partially concealed for my entire visit, about 70 minutes, but at
least I had decent looks in good light, and managed a few photos.  It took
me over 11 hours to get the look I desired.  It took the birder who drove up
and looked in my scope only 30 seconds!  The time of my sighting was between
10:30 and 11:40 a.m.
DIRECTIONS:
The BBWD was on NY 77, in a roadside marsh about 200 yards northwest of the
Cayuga Pool Overlook (Iroquois NWR). NY 77 is a north-south highway that
travels NW in the area of the refuge.  Thus, the reason for the sometimes
confusing directions.  In any case, if you are heading north on Rt 77,
Iroquois NWR and Cayuga Pool overlook are on your right and Tonawanda WMA is
on your left.  Note that there is an exit for Rt 77 from the NYS Thruway.
The duck was on the Tonawanda WMA side of the road and likes to stay hidden
in the cattails.
Good birding and stay safe out there.  The trucks and cars really move
through the area.
Willie
----------------
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter
Wilson, NY
dannapotterATroadrunner.com
http://www.betsypottersart.com



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to