After earlier (12:30-4:20), unremarkable visits to Jones Beach west end and Oceanside (no Buff-breasted Sandpiper or Avocet), I paid a visit to Cow Harbor Park in Freeport ~4:30 to look for shorebirds on the pond and marsh. The latter had low numbers of common species (Black-bellied and Semipalmated Plovers, Greater Yellowlegs, Semi and Least sandpipers, and S-b Dowitcher, all widely scattered in the shallower pools. The pond harbored a substantial gathering of both white egrets, a few night-herons (both species), several Glossy Ibis and 2 Green-winged Teal. Shorebird numbers were modest and composed of the aforementioned species with the following additions-- White-rumped Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs (1 each). The highlight of the visit wasn't a waterbird though. On my way to the pond I heard a couple shrill, rolling vocalizations--very psittacine-like. >From among the bevy of Tree swallow swarming overhead a pair of larger, long-tailed birds emerged and landed in a small tree between the parking lot and tennis courts. Before I was able to close enough ground on the tree both birds lit out, again calling. Silhouetted against the gray sky little of the bird's plumage color or pattern could be perceived. But based on perceived size, and more importantly the additional calling, I could tell they were MONK PARAKEETS. The birds flew out of sight toward the residential area to the north. Anyone know if there are any established colonies in the area?
-- NYSbirds-L List Info: http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES ARCHIVES: 1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html 2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html 3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L Please submit your observations to eBird: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/ --
