I birded Blydenburg County Park off Vet's Highway in Smithtown during
occasional snow squalls today.  Most of the main pond was frozen, yet I was
impressed by the diversity and quantity of waterfowl present at the
park.  Totals are below:

157 Canada Geese
8 Mute Swan
234 Mallard
26 American Black Duck
143 Gadwall
6 Northern Shoveler
*27* Northern Pintail
*6 Canvasback*
*153* Ring-necked Duck
8 Hooded Merganser
3 Ruddy Duck
*37* American Coot

I also located 2 Fox Sparrows and a Brown Creeper.

On nearby Miller's Pond along Maple Avenue I found another 2 Northern
Pintail.

Tung Ting Pond and the Centerport Mill Pond have filled in nicely with
ducks.  Most interesting were the *63 Canvasback* and* 6 Redhead* present on
both ponds.  Strangely enough, despite thorough searching, I only managed to
locate 2 American Wigeon the whole day and missed Green-winged Teal and
Great Blue Heron altogether.  Perhaps something to do with the recent cold
weather?

Happy Holidays,
Brent Bomkamp
Northport, NY

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to