This is a bit of a late chime in, but here is my opinion on the Trumpeter 
Swans. I read with interest the discussion of Trumpeter Swans in New York 
State.  It has been ten years since I observed my first Trumpeter Swan in New 
York, and I have had several subsequent observations since that time.  Each 
year the question of countability comes up among the observers.   I read the 
article provided by Andy Guthrie and the NYSARC criteria for acceptance of 
species to the state list.  The article infers that an established breeding 
population must exist before the species will be accepted by NYSARC.  This is 
of course not a criteria for a species to be accepted to the New York list or 
many species would never have been added.  Vagrants and range expansion 
individuals are regularly accepted to our list.  There could be much discussion 
about this species, but one thing that is clear from our records is that 
naturally occurring migrants and vagrants have been arriving from the Ontario 
population for many years.  Some of these birds have remained to start their 
own breeding populations, which if I read correctly, are on the verge of being 
established in New York in their own right.  Ontario has met the criteria to 
declare the  species as established and  has considered it thus since 2007.  I 
would be interested to know if there are other instances when NYSARC has not 
accepted another state, province or country’s decision on whether or not a 
species is established.  We currently have at least one  bird present and seen 
by multiple observers to be a tagged individual from an accepted established 
population outside the United States.  There is no question of provenance. .  
In my humble opinion, the appropriate action for NYSARC to take is to add 
Trumpeter Swan to the New York State list.   I certainly hope that reports will 
be filed on this bird to ensure that happens.  John Haas

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to