And...dare I ask, now that I see a fresh report of bird kills in Louisiana, and 
coupled with the fish kills in Arkansas...is it possible that there is some 
environmental factor from the oil catastrophe?  I know that preliminary reports 
said there was no toxicicity in the birds, but I remain skeptical for now.

Fred Baumgarten
Sharon, CT/Westchester and points north, NY




________________________________
From: TNIC <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 1:21:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Fw: 5000 blackbirds and starlings fall from the sky!


Having seen a few things struck by lightning I would think there would be some 
singed feathers.
I have heard hail, lighting, fireworks, bumping into each other and lots of 
other speculation.
 
No one had confirmed there was a fireworks display going on. 
No eye witnesses  heard or saw lighting.
No one saw wind or hail. 
No one saw the birds bumping into each other. 
No one saw concentrated lighting. 
 
 
Having seen birds in action for years now I have confidence in their ability to 
survive a startling event. 

I don’t accept they died of sudden stress from a firework. Or bumping into each 
other.  Birds are amazing survivors. We have all seen them dodging raptors and 
other perils. I have seen them on the 4th of July and this does not fit what I 
see when fireworks go off near birds. 

 
I don’t accept the explanations I am reading. They don’t have supporting 
evidence or anything at all that I can cite as supporting evidence. In my 
opinion we don't yet know what happened to these birds. The "could have been"  
explanations are  no more than - "could have been" explanations. When they are 
from public officials they follow the convenient explanation model.
 
I don’t know what happened to these birds and I don’t think anyone does yet. 
 
Tom 
Midland Park
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to