A relatively balmy day made for pleasant and productive birding on the
south fork today. Things started well with 3 * WILD TURKEYS * foraging along
the north shoulder of Montauk Highway, spotted as I drove, about a mile
west of Montauk Village. When I arrived at Montauk Pt. State Park, I was
greeted by a juvenile  * RED-SHOULDERED HAWK * perched in a tree just west
of the parking lot. The scoter/eider spectacle off the restaurant never
fails to amaze. Among all those sea ducks were 5-8 * RAZORBILLS *.

Over at nearby Camp Hero I was lucky enough to run into Pat Lindsay and Shai
Mitra who clued me into the presence of several * KING EIDER * not far
offshore. I was eventually able to spot three‹2 females and 1 immature male.
Shai and Pat also told me about the * WESTERN TANAGER * on Big Reed Path.
Patience was required, but the bird finally showed at the feeders of the
gray house on the corner of Big Red Path and Deer Way. The feeders are well
off the street and partially obscured within a stand of small trees, so a
scope is in order to get even a so-so view.

Down at Montauk Harbor 5 * GREAT CORMORANTS * were perched atop the towers
at the end of both jetties (4/1). Scores of Common Loons were on the water
outside the inlet.

At Hither Hills State Park, 4 juvenile * WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS * fed among
numerous Song & White-throated sparrows in grassy areas of the picnic area.

Several trips up and down Napeague Meadow, Lazy Point, and Promised Land
roads failed to turn up the N. Shrike, but "Larry", the adult * LESSER
BLACK-BACKED GULL * was guarding his turf, the beach west of the boat
launch out at Lazy Point, and 3 * AMERICAN PIPITS * were on the beach
near the ramp. Along Napeague Meadow road an adult N. Harrier and immature
Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks were seen.

I finished up in Sag Harbor, hoping to see the Barrow's Goldeneye. Noyack
Bay was completely iced up, as was much of Sag Harbor Cove. I eventually
found a small flock (~12)  of Goldeneye well to the east, near the end of
the breakwater in Sag Harbor Bay, but they were all Commons.

Photos of the Red-shouldered Hawk, Pipit, and Harrier can be seen here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/
 





--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to