This morning, while driving in downtown Riverhead, Suffolk Co., I observed 3 
T.V's. circling overhead, as they drifted toward the east.
 This afternoon, I drove to the Quogue Wildlife Refuge in Quogue, in order to 
set up & check out the "dvd" we were going to show tonight at our monthly 
Audubon meeting. It's title is GASLAND, and it's about obtaining natural gas 
from shale deposits in the ground. It tells of the history of this process, how 
it works, and goes on to explain the consequences of this type of extraction, 
called Hydronic Fracturing. As I watched and listened to this alarming 
documentary unfold (with my eyes picking up the movements of birds in, and over 
Ice Pond, through an entire wall, approx,30x15, made up of floor to ceiling 
windows) I saw a pair of stunning Wood Ducks land. Already in the pond were 
Mallards, Canadas, and Herring Gulls. Overhead Redwings, Robins and Blue Jays 
flew about. All of a sudden I realized what I was watching on the screen, was a 
threat to what i was marveling at outside...the comparison was unsettling !
While there, I also witnessed a behavior in 1 of the 4 Canada Geese in the 
water, that I've never seen before. They were all "taking baths", 3 of them 
doing the usual head dunking ,wing splashing, etc., but the 1, besides doing a 
little of the that, also did what has to be called a "summer-sault" . After 
putting it's head in the water, it continued going under "front to back" until 
it had reversed itself with belly showing, whereupon it went first to it's 
side, and then righted itself completely...and it did this 3 more times in 
about 10 minutes !
Cheers, Bob                                       
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to