After spending a slow hour or two birding at Hempstead Lake State Park,  I 
traveled over to West End 2 and took advantage of the light winds did a loop 
from the WE2 pavilion west to the WE jetty and then south along Jones Inlet and 
finally east on the fisherman's trail back to the WE2 parking lot.  The birding 
list I put together in many aspects resembled a January list more than a 
mid-April list. On the ocean shoreline opposite the WE2 pavilion was a first 
winter Iceland Gull that flew east down the beach. Piping Plovers were on 
territory behind the newly erected string fencing, i observed twelve PP's from 
the WE2 pavilion to the WE jetty. East of the swale on the ocean was a large 
mixed flock of Sanderlings (approx. 1200) and Dunlin (500). A single 
Semipalmated Plover was bathing with the Sanderlings in a small overwash pond. 
On the ocean there were many D.C. Cormorants and Loons, including a 
Red-throated Loon in full breeding plumage. On the way down to the jetty five 
Forster's Terns flew east down the beach. Just east of the jetty I quickly 
noticed a small flock of about ten Common Eider. Present with the CE's was an 
adult male King Eider.  On the jetty I noticed a flock of fifty Dunlin with two 
Purple Sandpipers mixed in.  I enjoyed the "winter" birds but, bring on the 
warblers!

Ken Feustel
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to