Around 4:30 this afternoon I found a female KING EIDER in the channel of the
Wilson piers on Lake Ontario.  She was closer to the west pier and swam out
of the channel as I walked out on the east pier.  She refused to lift her
head, however, until I started running, which allowed me to finally identify
her - just in time as I was running out of pier!.  Whether or not she will
return to or stay in the channel when there are fishermen on the east pier
is questionable (there were none when I was there).  She did return to the
channel after I left, as I checked from the parking lot.  On the west pier
were a couple dozen CASPIAN TERNS along with Herring and Ring-billed Gulls,
which also took off even before I started running but returned shortly (it's
the scope and tripod that scares them).  I did not see the small
unidentified tern that was reported earlier in the afternoon.

Good birding!
Willie
----------------
Willie D'Anna
Betsy Potter
Wilson, NY
dannapotterATroadrunner.com
http://www.betsypottersart.com



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
3) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to