This afternoon Heydi Lopes and I located a pair of Blue Grosbeaks in
Brooklyn's Green-Wood Cemetery. Credit for the find really goes to a
new birder named Jesse. We ran into him at the cemetery a little
before 1pm today. While comparing sighting notes he asked us about a
bird that he wasn't sure about, then proceeded to perfectly describe a
Blue Grosbeak. He brought us to the area adjacent to the Crescent
Water where, after about a 15 minute search in some deeper sections of
grass, we found not one, but two grosbeaks. I got the word out quickly
and both Rob Bate & Steve Nanz showed up within around 10 minutes.
Both got looks at the pair before they spooked and took off, heading
in the general direction of 37th Street. I don't know if they ever
returned, but below is a link to a map if you decide to look for them:
http://tinyurl.com/3kdypn5
They were on the hillside immediately to the left of "William Niblo".
Good birding,
Rob
The City Birder Weblog
http://citybirder.blogspot.com
--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm
ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html
Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/
--