Hi all,

In the past couple of years we've had major problems getting the refuge
staff to lower the water levels on the East Pond at Jamaica Bay Wildlife
Refuge to proper levels. The importance of this is for the returning
shorebirds having a place to both feed and roost.

I'm happy to report that yesterday, Don Riepe and I went to examine the
outflow valve and not only was it flowing nicely, but there was a ranger
there checking on thing when we arrived. I'm encouraged that by July 15th or
so conditions at the "bay" should be in good shape.

We should all thank the refuge staff for a job well done. This is in major
contrast to their attitude of the last many years.

BTW, our 6th annual Jamaica Bay Shorebird Festival will be held August 27th.

 

Lloyd

Lloyd Spitalnik Photography

www.lloydspitalnikphotos.com

 


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to