As posted earlier, the *Hudsonian Godwit* was feeding near the raunt earlier
today.  I would suggest trying for that bird early in the morning as it
appears to move from the pond when the tide has turned.  Several birders
tried late for the Godwit but did not get the bird.

In trying to assist folks in finding the bird, I ventured over to the North
End and navigated all the way in to the area known to some as "dead man's
cove".   Unfortunately, despite several careful sweeps of the pond from that
area I could not relocate the Godwit, which could either have been hidden
from my field of view or had already headed out into the bay.

At the South End this morning, there were noticeably fewer birds than I had
yesterday.  Including HUGO, other highlights from this morning were, a
few *Stilt
Sandpiper*s, *3 Pectorals* and *2 Northern Waterthrushes*.

Now to the water level - I have had several e-mails and phone calls asking
about the water level situation on the East Pond.  Here is the scoop: The
South End has started to see mudflats opening up and elsewhere on the
eastern edge of the pond where the shoreline is higher, mudflats are
starting to show.  For example the Raunt.  However, the North End remains
under water.  As stated above, I walked in on the North End this morning and
there, is currently no mudflats or shoreline on that section of the pond.

However, NPS are aware of the problem and giving it their attention, as I
witnessed today - After leaving the North End of the pond, I ran into
several National Park Service officials who were at the site assessing the
outflow situation with an engineer.  I accompanied them to the outflow and
listened in, as they discussed several options in trying to address the
problem with the water level both short and long term.  Without getting into
any details, I will say that it was very encouraging to witness the
attention given to this issue and I am hopeful that the discussion will be
followed by actions.  To be fair, Gateway NPS are trying, but may be face
with several restrictions including budget.

However, I remain hopeful that NPS will find a short term solution to get
the water level down to where it needs to be for this shorebird season and
in parallel work towards a long term solution to address the issue with the
drawing down of the pond.

Good Shorebirding!

Andrew Baksh
Queens, NY
www.birdingdude.blogspot.com

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to