Late this morning (11:30) I began the trek out to Democrat Point from
Field 2 at Robert Moses State park. I returned to my car just after 3:00.
In between I encountered 1 adult ROYAL TERN and 12 species of shorebird:

Black-bellied Plover  15
Semipalmated Plover  30
American Oystercatcher 10
Spotted Sandpiper  3
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Willet  4
Ruddy Turnstone  5
Sanderling  X
Semipalmated Sandpiper  18
Least Sandpiper  22
White-rumped Sandpiper  2
Short-billed Dowitcher  8

Also of note was a single Bank Swallow moving west down the beach among
small numbers of Barns, and a still downy but very ambulatory juvenile
Least Tern. All other juvenile terns seen (Common and Least) were already
capable of flight.

Later I spent 20 minutes along Captree Island Road checking the marsh to the
north for shorebirds and waders. The only bird of real note was a juvenile
YELLOW-CROWNED NIGHT-HERON which flushed from the marsh's edge upon my
approach and then flew to a nearby tree. There it was persistently mobbed
by Robins who perhaps still had a brood in a nest close by.
At the west end of the road Tree Swallows were massing for migration
already. A flock of 300+ were swirling over the marsh and perching on
utility wires. 



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to