Yesterday evening I was scanning the mud-flats at the Croton Train Station  
(Westchester) for any migrant shorebirds, but leaving empty handed. Before 
my  father came to pick me up from the station, he stopped to have a 
conversation  with a birder from NYC that was just leaving Croton Point Park. 
The  
birder (male) claimed to have seen  a Western Kingbird in Croton Point Park 
between  the trailer park and the area with cabins near the tip of the park. 
We  have seen this birder many times before in Croton and he is very  
knowledgeable about birds, so we did not doubt his observation. We  went to go 
check out the area where the Kingbird was seen (around 6:30 PM), but  
unfortunately we were pressed for time and had other plans with the  family and 
had 
to leave prematurely. However, we did see a few Eastern  Kingbirds and a 
large flycatcher species fluttering and swooping  around above the higher road 
close to the swimming pool and basketball  court area of the campground 
(about where the Western Kingbird was  reported). The Flycatcher was the size 
of 
a Kingbird and was  flying and acting like a Kingbird as well. It was 
difficult to  get a view of the bird, which eventually disappeared below the 
tree 
line,  and we could not locate it again. That particular bird seemed 
noticeably  different from Eastern Kingbirds. We caught glimpses of a yellow 
underbelly, and  it had a different call than the Eastern Kingbirds. We were 
not  
comfortable pinning a species I.D. on the bird because of the  poor views 
we got. 
 
I went back this morning (August 12th) at 7:00 to do a complete survey  of 
the park to look for the Kingbird and any breeding birds in the park. I 
spent  5 hours searching but did NOT see the reported Western Kingbird. However 
the  park was full of other birds and bugs. Around mid-day, It was to  my 
surprise to here a chorus of 3 Eastern Screech-Owls all calling  and whining 
for about 10 seconds from different locations around the vicinity of  the 
campground. It was odd and exciting to hear them calling during the  day. Also 
of note was a Raven seen flying over the marsh next  to the low dirt road, 
which is accessed by turning left before entering the  area with the cabins. 
On the landfill/ grassy hill area, there were 5  Cliff Swallows, 6 Indigo 
Buntings, and lots of different species  of butterflies and skippers (I don't 
know butterflies too well but there were  hundreds all over the landfill; 
many different species were seen). The  bird survey tallied 44 species of 
birds this morning.
 
Anyone in the Westchester area should check out the park for the  Western 
Kingbird and any other interesting organisms. I will be going back to  the 
park to check the area again this afternoon and I will make a report if I  
find anything good or locate the Kingbird.
 
Good Birding!!!
 
Lewis Lolya
Westchester NY
 
 
        
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to