I had an Eastern Screech Owl calling repeatedly within the first 10-20 feet
of the stand of trees in my yard this weekend.  Also had a migrant
Ruby-throated Hummingbird yesterday.

Cheers

Patrick Santinello

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of John Gluth
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2011 11:58 PM
To: NYSBIRDS-L-for posts
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Screech Owls, Heckscher State Park

 

Working an earlier than usual shift at work got me home with just enough
daylight left to run over to Heckscher State Park (Suffolk Co.) 
to try for migrating Nighthawks. But if any were on the move this evening,
none passed through the swath of sky I watched, only a few bats. 
But I did not get shut out on birds entirely. As I neared my car (parked on
Old Schoolhouse Road) I heard the soft "whinny" call of an Eastern 
Screech Owl from the well-wooded yard of a residence across the street. It
was soon answered by at least two different birds not far inside 
the park boundary. The owls went back and forth for a few minutes with some
short lulls. My barely passable whinny imitation may have 
done the trick, or maybe it was just coincidence, but eventually one owl
flew into a tree just inside the park fence. A streetlight up the block 
provided just enough illumination to help make out the bird's shaggy
silhouette and some faint details, but I wished I'd had a flashlight in my
car.
These birds were among the very few Screech Owls I've encountered without
playback of recordings, mostly during the frigid pre-dawn hours of 
Christmas counts, so finding some without trying on a balmy late summer
evening was a very pleasant surprise.

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME> Welcome and Basics 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES> Rules and Information 

 <http://www.northeastbirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm>
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave

Archives:

The Mail Archive
<http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html> 

 <http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L> Surfbirds

BirdingOnThe.Net <http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html> 

Please submit your observations to  <http://ebird.org/content/ebird/> eBird!

--


--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to