After running some errands early this afternoon, on a whim I decided to take
a quick 
spin through Heckscher State Park (Suffolk Co.). I found both the paved and
grassy 
areas of parking field #7 good and flooded. Present in the grassy area as
you first enter 
the lot were 2 Lesser Yellowlegs. The first one I spotted was swimming
through some 
deeper water and briefly fooled me into thinking it was a phalarope. In one
of the narrow 
grassy islands of the lot was a juvenile AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER (AGPL).
After observing 
it for a while I decided to run home for my scope and camera. I was waylaid
though by 
2 small birds landing in the wet grass closest to the beach. At first I
thought they might be
Least Sandpipers, but then I caught a very brief glimpse of the head of one
bird sticking up 
above the longer grass. It was an ammodramus sparrow with a substantial
amount of ochre 
coloration on the face (the eyebrow and around the ear coverts). The
impression I got was
of either Saltmarsh or Nelson¹s Sparrow. But despite a search I never saw it
again, the bird 
probably flying for cover when I backed up my car so as not to block the
road. The only 
sparrows I saw afterward were Savannahs. Before I could resume my departure
a kite-surfer 
just off the beach spooked up all the gulls present. The AGPL also took
flight, circled around
a bit with 5 previously unseen Killdeer, then put down again, but only
briefly before flying
off in the direction of field #8. I drove over there but found the gate to
the lot closed. 
But a flock of shorebirds was present on the large, oval, grassy island
beyond the gate. 
The AGPL plus a second were among ~20 Black-bellied Plovers. A bit farther
way on the 
pavement in the lot¹s eastern half were 2 Dunlin and 2 Semipalmated Plovers.

I returned to the park from home ASAP (~15 minutes later) with scope and
camera, 
parked in field 7 (where there were now 2 Greater Yellowlegs) and walked
over to field 8. 
I found all the shorebirds had relocated from the lot to the beach. I was
able to count 
them there and came up with this tally:

Black-bellied Plover‹40
American Golden-Plover‹2
Semipalmated Plover‹2
Sanderling‹45
Semipalmated Sandpiper‹2
Dunlin‹11

Two different passing PEREGRINE FALCONS (PEFAs) put a scare into all the
birds, sending 
them up out over the Great South Bay for minutes at at time. When I returned
to field 7 
I saw another two PEFAs, one an adult, the other a hatch-year bird of the
tundrius subspecies.
I¹d been photographing the former after it landed in a large puddle to drink
and bathe when 
2 Lesser Yellowlegs flying overhead sent it skyward again. I began reviewing
my photos then,
but falcon vocalizations grabbed my attention. I looked up to see two
falcons flying in close
proximity. Not sure which was vocalizing. Photos and video of the AGPLs and
PEFAs can be
viewed online here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jgluth_brb/sets/72157626094030203/

  





--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to