Spent the late morning and all afternoon doing some scouting for next weekend's 
Brooklyn CBC.
Highlights were the continuing AMERICAN AVOCET in the cove of Coney Island 
Creek between Drier-Offerman and Six-Diamonds, 7 RED-NECKED GREBES in Jamaica 
Bay viewed from the Boat launch parking lot at Floyd Bennett, a first-winter 
GLAUCOUS GULL roosting on the beach  at Riis Park (probably the same individual 
that has been seen further west at Ft. Tilden), and at least 2 PARASITIC 
JAEGERS harassing Bonaparte's Gulls offshore from the Silver Gull Club on the 
far western end of Ft. Tilden.

Did a little looking for passerines but where I did they were disturbingly 
absent. I did see 5 feral cats in five different locations and I can't help but 
wonder if their ever increasing populations and the paucity of passerines are 
connected.

On another somewhat judgmental note there were 3 individuals observing the 
Avocet from the Six-Diamonds shore, using a scope at a respectful distance. 
About 20 minutes later I saw the same group approach the bird from the Drier- 
Offermann side and got close enough to flush it. This is a large shorebird 
easily observable and identifiable at a good distance and the welfare of the 
Avocet should trump one's desire to get a closer look IMO.

Dismounting...


Regards,
Shane Blodgett,
Brooklyn NY

Sent from another Apple device

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to