Greetings,
Today at 4:45pm I visited Wildwood Lake, Riverhead, in mid-Suffolk County.  
This is a double kettle lake formed by the last glacial activity and the depth 
is deeper than most in Suffolk.  In this deep area in the western waters of the 
pond, I observed 2 pair of Northern Shoveler foraging but not in a dabbling 
technique.  They were paddling in figure eight patterns in a staggered 
formation with their necks and bills parallel with the horizontal surface of 
the water, skimming with their bills.  Their bills and necks were barely 
submerged, their yellow eyes very visible.  They were like a truck plowing snow 
leaving a small wake behind.  I imagine they were skimming some freshwater 
phyto/zoo plankton but am not sure what options they would have considering the 
water temperature.  However, the nutrients from the bottom of the lake may 
"turn over" and surface during this time of year because there is less of a 
thermocline to the water column, this would allow for vertical transport of 
nutrients.  If anyone could comment further on this I would be grateful for 
more speculation or knowledge.  In addition to this wonderful sight, there was 
a tight group of 5 Pied-billed Grebes 10m behind the shovelers, and ~60 
Ring-necked Ducks 100m from the Shovelers.  I also reported a banded Canada 
Goose in Riverhead with a USFWS aluminum band, number of band viewed by scope, 
to USGS today to discover that it was banded before fledging in Hampton Bays 
(<20 miles away) this past season, female.  There were 12 other banded geese in 
the flock foraging grass in front of the Riverhead County Center. I was only 
able to read in full one band, but I noticed some geese had bands that seemed 
more weathered and had different "font" on the bands. 
Peter PrioloCenter Moriches                                       
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to