Well, for me the way out of these annoyances was simple - I stopped chasing 
rarities. My father  was a stamp collector, and I remember how strange and 
compulsive that 'hobby' became for him. When I began to develop that same weird 
behavior, I decided it was time for me to cultivate mental health.

The reason I loved to walk and bike, and to be out in nature since I was a 
child was that it allowed me to be alone and to have quiet. Personally, I never 
liked sports or competition in any form, and I'm probably one of the few native 
born Americans who has no understanding of baseball or football, nor do I care 
to learn. Organized birding always struck me as incredibly strange, the way it 
forces the sports mentality into an essentially gentle activity.

Also, I am extremely chauvinistic. The Northeast is my home, and I always 
thought that the natural direction of heaven would be north. I travelled out 
west, and south to Florida once, and found those trips tiresome. I know I'll 
never repeat them. The idea of traveling to Asia or Africa, or South America is 
absurd to my way of thinking. Originally, I started birding to learn our local 
species, so it never interested me to gawk at birds from parts of the world I 
had no interest in seeing. I could just as easily turn on a National Geographic 
special. 

I tend to agree with Scotty. The majority of birders are not scientists, 
naturalists, or professional photographers. It's a hobby, nothing more. I would 
love for someone to run the numbers for how much fuel is wasted on these treks 
to find rarities. For people who claim to love nature, they should be ashamed. 
The amount of money spent on photographic equipment is staggering also - all to 
make technically perfect photos of the same birds over and over again. And 
almost all of these photographs lacking in artistic and scientific merit. All 
taken just to have taken them yourselves. 

Well, to each his own - I suppose. My apologies to the list owners for lacking 
self-control and adding my nonsense to this. Phil, go with your instinct. Pull 
this, I wouldn't fault you.


Michael S. Zablocky
Brooklyn, NY


"I'm going off the rails on a crazy train." - Ozzy Osbourne



--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to