Hi Phil & others

Your email brings up a number of points that merit discussion. I think 
that birds have far more serious problems than 'photographers', and I 
think your proposed approach of making bird details 'secret', and the 
approach followed by you and Rob Jett of photographing people and posting their 
details on the net can be harmfully counterproductive.

Here's why I think this:

1) With the net being what it is, there's nothing to stop anyone posting
 any details of any bird to any audience they choose. Cutting off one 
source of information will not stop information getting out.

2) North American birds are generally in decline not because of 
photographers, but because of habitat destruction, collisions with 
buildings, feral cats, poisons etc. -- in roughly that order. Addressing
 these issues means having political power, i.e. birds need people to be
 actively working for their interests in the broader political realm.

3) That's not to say that clueless or selfish photographers and birders 
don't sometimes do things that aren't in birds' interest.

4) The way to address the problems mentioned in 3 and 4 above is 
engagement -- get the word out about birds to the public at large, and 
sensitize photographers and birders to the needs of birds. "If a bird 
looks stressed and flies away from you, you're probably bothering it, 
and you should retreat", etc. These listservs are one way of engaging 
people, another great way is taking people out to see birds in a 
responsible way, and one can also engage photographers who are behaving 
inappropriately while they are doing it. We need more people to be out 
enjoying birds so that birds have a louder voice in the public arena. 
You can show people any number of photographs and tell them any number 
of facts about birds, but actually seeing and enjoying real live wild 
birds is far more powerful.

At the moment we have an awful, confrontational situation between 
certain members of the birding community who think of themselves as 
gatekeepers of information/sites/knowledge, and other birders and the 
public at large: I have stopped counting the number of people that have 
expressed their dismay to me at Rob Jett's aggressive approach of 
trashing strangers' reputations on the internet -- without even talking to
 them on site -- because it creates a feeling that birders are more like
 surveillance police than nature-lovers. Rob has done a lot of birding around 
NY and it's sad that he's alienated so many people with his attitude. Some 
people don't know that 
they're walking in a place they're not supposed to, and simply talking 
with them sorts a problem out. (Others are jerks and present somewhat 
more difficult challenges. I'm not proposing saying or doing nothing and maybe, 
ultimately, repeat offenders could benefit from some attention from law 
enforcement.)

Phil, you should also know that more and more people think of you as a 
hypocrite, trash-talking 'photographers' while yourself walking around 
with a massive lens. Surely the point is not that people are 'photographers' or 
'photographer-birders' or whatever, but that they behave reasonably sensitively 
to birds? I've never really talked to you, and I don't know 
you, and I have no idea of your character, but I do know that when I 
approached the gentleman who you wrote about in your email, the one 
walking through the dunes after the Snowy Owl, you stood on by just a 
few yards away, saying nothing, while I engaged him on the fact that I'd
 seen him flush the owl and that walking through the dunes was not 
allowed. As it turns out the gentleman was extremely 
defensive/aggressive and the interaction did not go well, but I received
 no support from you -- you seemed to do your best to ignore what was 
going on at the time & emailing about it later. This makes you, sadly, seem 
like a coward.
 I hope to have the chance of forming a better, updated impression of you.

I understand that the previous two paragraphs might ruffle a few 
feathers, and that, as a relative newcomer to New York I'm doubtless 
going to be seen as insulting some of NYC's birding 'royalty'. I'm sorry
 if that's the case, but I've been part of different birding communities
 both within my home country and others, and having birded and 
researched birds over a period of 25 years on 5 continents, I feel I 
have some right to speak.

I think that the various birding listservs should be used as an 
opportunity to educate and engage people around birds and birding 
ethics. I think as many people as possible should be encouraged to bird,
 photograph birds, and celebrate them as possible -- in a responsible 
way -- because that's what's good for birds in the political realm, 
which is where we get to defend their habitats from destruction and 
encroachment. If the public at large don't know that amazing birds are 
living in a place, no-one's going to care when it gets paved over, and 
the best way to get them to care is if they see and experience the birds
 themselves. 'No Entry' signs and secretive, misanthropic birders are 
not welcoming to people at large, and do nothing for the cause of bird 
conservation.

Anyone who's studied birds seriously soon learns that many birds rapidly
 become accustomed to the disturbance regimes in their habitats, so, for
 example, approaching a Red-tailed Hawk in Central Park on foot does not
 disturb it, because it's become habituated to New Yorkers on foot &
 has learned that they're not dangerous. Walk up to a Red-tail in 
certain farming areas, and the bird might get spooked and fly away, 
because the local humans often shoot at Red-tails. Similarly, certain 
birds get accustomed to extremely noisy, low-flying aircraft, but get 
disturbed by people approaching silently on foot. Disturbance is 
context-specific and species-specific (some species seem to be extremely 
sensitive to disturbance in all situations). We need to recognise this and not 
simply say that 
approaching at an owl anywhere, for any reason, is bad. Birds' behavior is 
often the best guide, rather than a set of abstract rules. If a bird is flying 
off when you approach it, you're probably disturbing it. If it chooses to nest 
above a busy sidewalk, then walking beneath it will probably not bother it.

Some owls have no issues with people approaching them in a 
non-threatening way, like a pair of Spotted Eagle Owl I followed for 
years in Cape Town, has raised tens of young within a few yards of paths
 that carry hundreds of tourists a day in the Kirstenbosch Botanical 
Garden. Google 'Spotted Eagle Owl Kirstenbosch' for some of the 
thousands of photos and videos of these birds that have been made over 
the years.

In conclusion, I'd like to advocate for a policy of openness and 
engagement, and I'd like to give an example of a situation in which this
 has worked. Some years ago I was doing research in the Little Karoo, a 
part of South Africa famed for rare succulent plants that were worth 
large amounts of money to foreign collectors. Some of these plants were 
in danger of becoming extinct due to foreigners digging them up and 
smuggling them out of the country. Local conservationists had a long 
debate as to whether to stop talking about the area being home to 
certain rare plants, or to publicize the plants and the threats to them.
 After seeing that silence wasn't stopping the illegal activity, it was 
decided to try publicity -- as a result, local people started to care 
about the plants, creating responsible tourist opportunities to see them
 but also looking out for unknown characters wandering about 
suspiciously where they were known to occur. As a result of some sharp-eyed 
locals speaking up, the local police for the first time apprehended plant 
smugglers -- including a well-known professor 
of botany from a prestigious Japanese university -- who were tried in court and 
found guilty of illegally 
removing protected species.

Obviously, in places where one cannot build up a community of engaged 
local people who care about wildlife, publicity might not be the way to 
go. But in NYC there are abundant opportunities for doing this -- I'd 
far rather see locals that walk the beach at Breezy Point with their 
dogs see, know and care about the local owls, than not know about them 
because of some 'veil of silence' drawn across the issue by some 
self-appointed birding 'royals'. I think unethical/clueless birders and 
photographers would be far less likely to walk in the sensitive dune 
area and mob an owl if locals and other birders talked to them and the 
owls were seen as a special thing for the area to celebrate and protect.

That's more than 2c on the topic. I hope to hear considered responses.

Cheers

Adam Welz

** NOTE ** When posting an earlier version of this email on ebirdsnyc, Phil 
Jeffrey barred me from 'his' list and publicly threatened to close the whole 
thing down, after which we engaged in a salty/rude email exchange -- just 
because of my brief criticism. I offered to sit down over a beer to sort things 
out, but he's chosen to call me 'delusional', while reminding me of his 
superior intelligence and 71 published academic papers. I obviously hit a 
nerve, which I take as an indication of the importance of this conversation.If 
you're going to post pictures of other birders on the net along with 
accusations regarding their behavior, I think you should be prepared to have 
your own behavior examined on the net. If you're also going to put yourself out 
as some sort of authority on birding, as Phil has through his blog and mentions 
in the NYTimes blog etc., it might help to recognise that you're not above 
criticism, and that others are going to be examining your behavior a little 
more intently than that of average birders' behavior.
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to