Nobody is saying to go out and harass every bird EXCEPT owls. Yes, you can 
flush a Yellow-rump, a Junco, sparrows, and just about every bird in our 
guides. But saying that flushing these birds and birders/photographers chasing 
a Snowy Owl up and down a beach is the same is wrong. 
Reading a quote like "  Is that really a huge deal if a Snowy Owl flies a few 
hundred yards down the beach?  I really do not think so and I have no clue why 
so many people think that. These birds did just fly hundreds of miles south 
didn't they?"
First of all when birders/photographers flush a Snowy Owl down the beach a few 
hundred yards they don't call it a day and they don't leave. Most of them walk 
the beach and again get to close and flush it again. I have seen this sort of 
behavior go on for hours and if you don't see an issue with this then shame on 
you. Snowy Owls don't fly hundreds of miles to go on a vacation and usually by 
the time they get this far south they're all beat up and lacking food, water, 
and rest. When you get a chance talk to someone who specializes in owl 
rehabilitation and they will tell you that a good deal of these Snowy Owls will 
never see the tundra again. 
I have seen at least 20 Snowy Owls and I have never seen one actively hunting.  
Why is that? Find a Snowy Owl, set up a chair or if you can sit in your car, 
and wait till dusk. Most of the time when I see Snowy Owls hunting its well 
after dusk. Thats why some people (including myself) do take issue with people 
flushing them during the day because most of the time they're just trying to 
rest. 
I think that birders cause significantly more disturbance than photographers 
do.  Do we all really think that when 30 people are lined up (even at a 
reasonable distance) from a Snowy Owl that you are not "on its mind", that it 
is not extremely aware of your presents?
Of course we are on his mind and nobody is arguing that BUT I have been to 
places with large groups of people watching Snowy Owls and if you stand back at 
a reasonable distance they never flush and I have seen plenty close they're 
eyes and rest. Just because the owl is aware of our presence doesn't mean that 
we are doing harm to the bird. Now even though the photographers move up slowly 
you'll see an alert owl who focuses in on them and eventually gets up and flies.
I think that birders cause significantly more disturbance than photographers do.
Well then in your 30 years of birding you must have missed a bunch because most 
photographers go to great lengths to get "the shot". Some have the patience to 
wait for good pictures but plenty need to cross that line to do whatever they 
have to in order to fill that memory card, get home, and upload all those 
photos. I have never seen a birder bring bait to bring an owl in closer. I have 
never seen a birder climb a tree and cut branches to get a better picture of 
that roosting owl. 
Most photographers will lie or stand still and quietly most of the time.
Maybe when it comes to other bird species but they have little patience to wait 
for owls. Normally you'll see them pull up, hop out of the car, set up the 
camera, and just start walking right towards the resting owl. Rarely will they 
be standing back with the rest of the clear headed birders watching from a safe 
distance.
The Breezy owls will have to deal with dogs, people and loads of 4x4's on the 
beach.  They will do their best to stay away from the people and when they feel 
disturbed they will fly.  That is about the best they can do.
Your absolutely right on this one. Most Snowy Owls that fly south have plenty 
to deal with. Whether it's dog walkers, joggers, atv's, cars, and of course us 
birders/photographers. Thats why we need to make sure that we are doing our 
part to not add any extra stress to them.
 
  

Mark Barriger
Wallingford, CT



 



From: [email protected]
To: [email protected]
Subject: [nysbirds-l] Bad behavior
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:31:10 -0500





Here is my two cents based off of over 30 years of birding in this state.  I 
find this entire discussion absurd and think that everyone has pretty much 
missed the real point.  I have no clue why people get so up in arms about 
flushing owls. Let me preface this by saying that some of the people that I am 
about to criticize are people that I bird with frequently, people that I have 
known for over 20 years, people that have been to my home and my wedding.   I 
find it all extremely contradictory and hypocritical . 
 
The  same people that are finger pointing and bad mouthing and video taping and 
planning secret groups because a few people get too close to a bird, have no 
problem walking through the east pond and fulshing hundreds if not thousands of 
migratory shorebirds that are desparately trying to refuel for their huge 
migration south.  Is is possible to walk the east pond without flushing loads 
of birds? Does any one care if they flush a flock of peeps, dowitchers or 
yellow legs  or even give at a second thought while they are searching for a 
Godwit or Stint? They have no probelm walking through a field in the fall and 
flushing hordes of birds in the hopes that a Clay Colored or Lark Sparrow be 
found amongst the hordes of Savannah Sparrows and Song Sparrows and more common 
species.  Can anyone see a sparrow in NY without flushing it first? These same 
people have no problem pshing in any number of song birds during migration.  
Doesn't that disturb these birds more than an occasional flush by a 
photographer or flash?  The examples are endless.  What birder has not flushed 
flock after flock of Dunlin and Sanderling while walking on the beach at Breezy 
and Jones Beach looking for one of those Snowy Owls?  What birder has not 
crashed through median strip at Jones Beach looking for Crossbills or Sawwhets 
and not flushed Yellowrumps and Juncos, etc. What birder has not walked the 
trail out to Breezy and not flushed numerous Yellowrupms and Cardinals and 
blackbirds. What birder has not walked near a pond and not had every duck swim 
to the other side of it?  What birder has not flushed loads of Ring-billed and 
Herring Gulls  on the beach while trying to find a Glaucous or Iceland Gull? 
What birder has not walked through central park and not flushed a Hermit thrush 
or Ovenbird?  I have never gone to Point Lookout and seen the Harlequin Ducks 
without them continuously swimming away from me.  Maybe they just don't like me 
but I think that they are obviously wary of people and do their best to keep 
their distance.
 
The obvious answer to all of my questions is that it is impossible to be a 
birder and to not continuously disturb birds.  Do any of us really think that 
everytime we walk on a beach or thrugh the woods or in a field that we are not 
disturbing the birds that are trying to see?  I am not in any way condoning 
someone who is purposely flushing an owl or approaching unnecessarily close.  
But we need to keep in perspective what it is that all of us (certainly 
including myself) are doing every time we enter the field?  I do not think that 
you can randolmly decide what birds are OK to disturb and which ones are not.  
That seems to be an absurd thing to do. All of us, photgraphers and birders 
alike need to be aware of our impact on our surroundings and stop pointing the 
fingers at others.  
 
And now for what may get me lynched.  I think that birders cause significantly 
more disturbance than photographers do.  Do we all really think that when 30 
people are lined up (even at a reasonable distance) from a Snowy Owl that you 
are not "on its mind", that it is not extremely aware of your presence?  Do you 
think that it feels comfortable hunting while a crowd is present?  I don't. At 
least most photographers will make a reasonable effort to slowly approach these 
birds so that they can actually not make it fly.  That is how you get a good 
picture isn't it? These birds are comming to public places and are surrounded 
by dogs and loads of people.  When they are bothered enough, they will fly.  Is 
that really a huge deal if a Snowy Owl flies a few hundred yards down the 
beach?  I really do not think so and I have no clue why so many people think 
that. These birds did just fly hundereds of miles south didn't they?  I would 
argue that the continued presence of a crowd of birders in a field or a swamp 
or the beach has a much greater negative impact on the birds than people may 
think. I have seen at least 20 Snowy Owls and I have never seen one actively 
hunting.  Why is that?  Probably because I was there and wether or not I 
approached it too closely still did not mean that I was not disturbing the 
bird.  These birds are choosing to or have been forced to winter in what is 
unfortunately a public area.  The Breezy owls will have to deal with dogs, 
people and loads of 4x4's on the beach.  They will do their best to stay away 
from the people and when they feel distrubed they will fly.  That is about the 
best they can do.   My experience has been that if you are birding anywhere 
(and I have lots of experience having birdered in every continent other than 
Antarctica) and you are still and quiet then you will see more birds.  The 
birds seem to not be disturbed as much and will approach extremely close 
without being alarmed or flushing.  Ever see a bird and it flies as soon as you 
pick up your binoucluars to look at it?  You disturbed it by your movements. 
Most photoagraphers will lie or stand still and quitely most of the time.  In 
my opinion that disturbs the birds less than a group of birders talking and 
snapping pictures.
 
So what does that mean for birders vs. photographers.  Well it means nothing.  
Everyone always thinks that someone else is doing more harm than they are.  I 
think you look quickly and then leave and that is what will cause the least 
disturbance to these birds.  I think that 30 people that are at a reasonable 
distance does a lot more harm than everyone is talking about.  My vote is that 
birders are doing more harm than the photograhers.  And we all need to look in 
the mirror a little bit more before we point the finger toward others. 



--
NYSbirds-L List Info:
Welcome and Basics 
Rules and Information 
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives:
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
Please submit your observations to eBird!
--                                        
--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to