Hi again,
After sharing photos and discussing the two grebes that Jay and I saw at
Twin Oaks Campground north of Union Springs, Cayuga County yesterday,
several knowledgeable people have suggested that the paler bird is actually
a hybrid Western x Clark's Grebe instead of a pure Western Grebe.  This
pale bird is either the same or very similar to the bird that has been
hanging out on Cayuga Lake between Myers and Ithaca in Tompkins County.
Honestly, I don't know enough about the limit of variation in Western Grebe
or proven hybrids to feel confident either way, but the possibility of a
hybrid should be seriously considered.  It seems clear to me that the bird
isn't a pure Clark's Grebe - the flanks seem dark for that, and perhaps
more importantly, the bill is too dusky with dark on the top and bottom.
However, the bird in question is obviously paler overall (flanks and face)
with a slightly brighter bill than the "obvious", full-black-capped/
-faced, dull-billed Western present.
I've added more photos to my Flickr page, online here:  flickr.com/bonxie88
I'm sure there will be some more discussion on this - if anyone journeys up
the lake to check the birds out, I'd recommend trying to get an audio
recording of both birds.  Jay and I heard the dark one calling, and it
sounded like a normal Western Grebe; however, we didn't hear any
vocalizations out of the pale grebe.
Thanks - and good luck!
Tom

-- 
Tom Johnson
Hummelstown, PA
[email protected]

--

NYSbirds-L List Info:
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsWELCOME
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsRULES
http://www.NortheastBirding.com/NYSbirdsSubscribeConfigurationLeave.htm

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NYSBirds-L
3) http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/NYSB.html

Please submit your observations to eBird:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

--

Reply via email to